1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved creaking Y bed

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jediknight0, Jul 11, 2015.

1. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I noticed tonight my bed started creaking whenever it was printing near the center of the bed. After opening everything up, I noticed the plastic the holds the smooth rods on the right appears cracked. Is this normal / OK (see attached pic)?

My printer came with a smashed glass bed when it arrived, so shipping was rough. I wonder if this was also cracked in the process...

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Not normal, submit a parts request, make sure you ask for the set of pillow blocks, as others will likely crack also. When installing do not overtighten, they only need to be snug, that's why they are attached with nylon insert lock nuts.

3. jediknight0

jediknight0 Active Member

I'm beginning to think the pillow blocks are not the problem - the linear bearings are. I took apart the pillow blocks (quite a job...) and I heard a 'tink, tink, tink' as something fell to the floor. I think it was a single ball bearing from inside the linear bearings.

I've started to re-assemble everything and the bed movement (by hand) isn't making the creaking noise anymore. I still haven't powered it up... getting tired and the kids will be up in a few hours so this will wait till tomorrow.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yep, bad.

If you can still print you can print the pillow block (still request a replacement).
    Request the bearings as well or -- just the entire unit.

They have had batches of poor quality bearings every so often.