1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Cura first try won't connect to printer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Rigmarol, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

Robo 3d R1 Plus unmodified, completely stock.
    After initial setup and learning curve I've been printing like a monster for about 5 months or so.

I've been using MatterControl with good results but I keep hearing good things about Cura and Simplify3D so I decided I would try Cura to see what all the talk is about.

I have a solid Toshiba Laptop that I use for Linux Mint and I can't get it to find my Printer. This version of Cura actually has a profile for the Robo so I thought this would be a no brainer but alas, no joy.

I have tried all the USB ports on the laptop, made absolutely sure nothing else was running (although I suspect that's more of an issue if using Windows), Reinstalled the Cura program and made sure I was updated.

The popup error I get is:
    Error: No more baudrates to test, and no s...

Under Machine settings/Communications settings I show:
    Serial port = Auto
    Baudrate = Auto

I am only a casual Linux user so be clear if giving Linux instructions please.

Thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I dont use linnux so i cant help there but i believe the Baudrate i used was 250, not the 119 stock. I may have that backwards but its an option in cura, i cant exactly remember where

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

4. Rigmarol

Nope, but thanks.
    I've read that thread already and other than suggesting to take it off auto and put it at 25000 baud I didn't get any more out of it.

I'm thinking I have a linux issue not a cura issue.

I did try Cura on another laptop running Windows 10 and it seems to work, just have to learn it is all. I don't really want to use the Windows laptop as I take it work every day. I'd rather use my Linux box instead. Not ready for a LCD yet.

Tried sending to SD card but apparently I have that wrong too. Time to step away for a bit.

Thanks.

5. TerryTorrey

TerryTorrey New Member

I noticed you mentioned not having anything else running being an issue on a Windows platform. Can anyone out here discuss that a little more? I have a R1+ that Windows10 cannot see. It tells me there are no open ports, eve though nothing is pluged into the UBS prots except the printer.

6. TerryTorrey

TerryTorrey New Member

Just got my R1+ Wednesday last week. Spent a couple days after work (Thursday and Friday) trying to get my Windows 10 PC to talk to it, no luck. Borrowed a PC with Windows 7 and got it to see the printer on Comm 3, but still no joy on printing, doesn't seem to acctually be connected. I try to preheat the head to load filliment, but the head never gets hot. Any ideas or pointers would be appriciated!
    Terry

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might want to install the Arduino driver.
    One easy way is to install the Arduino IDE: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

I did not have to do that on Win10, but I have seen other people who did need that step.

danzca6 likes this.
  8. Rigmarol

You quoted my past issue with Linux and asked about windows 10.
    I can help with the LInux if that is what you are trying to do.

I never had any issue with Windows 10.
    The robo is not installed as a printer, the slicer (software) is what comunicates with the printer so no need for Windows to do so. It may install it, but I've never needed to check to see if it was actually installed so that Windows 10 sees it as an installed printer. If the software doesn't see the printer then the issue is probably a USB cable issue.

In Linux, I found there was some patching to do on how Linux communicates with the printer.