1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered cura settings never save or apply

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by davmad, Jan 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmad

davmad Member

I can't get any of my settings in cura to save. Anytime I print if I change the settings the print doesn't change. I change the print speed but nothing happens or I change the z offset and nothing happens. Im trying to print that Marvin key chain but I haven't been getting any results using cura

Attached Files:

2. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Do you mean Cura, or the CuraEngine slicer in MatterControl? (to be honest, I've had problems with both, so have given up on Cura until there is a definitive guide for how to get it to work with the Robo)

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Better ( of the free ) options IMO is to use the Cura slicer embedded in Repetier Host. The whole package of Repetier and Cura slicer works well with the Robo

4. davmad

davmad Member

It's Cura not the engine. So Repetier host is good? Is it difficult to set up? I was using MatterControl and the quality of the prints was pretty bad. I tried out Cura and the quality qas better but the program won't respond to the new settings im inputting.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Repetier Host is very easy to set up on Windows to work with the Robo ( I can't comment on the Mac set up). RH has the Cura slicer (and Slic3r) embedded and has all of the functions needed to print from the PC or directly from an SD Card on the printer. It works well.

But RH does not have the functions required to directly update the Robo firmware built in - this has to be done through the Arduino IDE. IMO the direct update isn't much value if you ever want to change some configuration parameter anyway.

Of the free software options available RH is the best in my opinion.

#5 Ziggy, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
    2 people like this.
  6. davmad

davmad Member

What's the best software that cost money? I like some of the features that Cura has I just don't know why any change in the settings won't go to the printer.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Simplfy3d seems a popular choice of paid for software

2 people like this.
  8. robert sanchez

robert sanchez Active Member

I second the thumbs up on simplify3d!!!

9. Mike Glass

Mike Glass Active Member

Did you set up a profile in Cura, thats all I really did, and set my z offset.
    Took awhile to get used to Cura, but seems to work alot better than MatterControl, but I think for more complicated printing I will look at getting simplify soon.

10. davmad

davmad Member

It seems like anytime I change the z offset when I go to print nothing new happens or if I change the layer height nothing happens.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Suggest you post your start gcode because if you have the G28 in the wrong place(s) or with the wrong parameters it can override other settings.

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If cura crashes or not closed properly the settings won't be saved.

We also need to make sure your adjusting the offset in the right position, a screenshot would be helpful.

Finally speed changes won't be very noticeable, especially for small parts. Acceleration and jerk have the most noticeable visual queues

13. davmad

davmad Member

Okay these are my settings as of now.

Attached Files:

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

15mm/s for print speed? That's really slow. Turn it up to like 50 or 60 then close and reopen cura. It should stick.

Looks like you were adjusting the z offset correctly as well

15. davmad

davmad Member

Cura is still not really working but I switched to repetier host and I really like it right now! I appreciate all the answers you guys are great!

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

To each their own! Glad you got it working

2 people like this.
  17. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Is there a good setup or configuration guide for Repetier? (Honestly, one reason i got the Robo was because it came pre-configured in MC, which looked more user-friendly than Repetier. But my prints are't perfect and I'd like to try some other slicers and controls. Couldn't get Cura to connect to the Robo. CuraEngine fails within MC. Now to try Repetier...)

18. davmad

davmad Member

I like Repetier Host but I use CuraEngine within. I have gotten a lot better results and I haven't touched the surface of setting. Also I tried the supports and they just peel away!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.