1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Custom Midi Controller

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Michael DiFilippo, May 31, 2015.

1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

Hey guys,
    It's been a while since I've posted on here and while I have been extremely busy with work I have had a project I've been working on and am finally in the final stages of completing so I thought I would share it with all of you. This project is not based solely on 3D printing or for that fact contain much 3D printing but it does contain quite a bit of troubleshooting and 3D modeling so I felt it appropriate. Below is a simple video that walks you through from concept to the final working product but for those of you who don't want to watch it here is a quick explanation.

I use a video mixing software which I wanted a midi controller for, after looking around it was hard to find one that had exactly what I was looking for so I decided to make my own.

The brains of the controller is an arduino leonardo which was programmed by someone who actually knows what they are doing (unlike me) and was able to get all the functions worked out quite quickly and easily for me. This allowed me to focus on the design.

A big thank you to Harry who CNC'd the acrylic for me for the top and bottom of the enclosure. I was originally hoping to 3D print the enclosure but I could not design it small enough to do so.

In total there are 3 parts which were 3D printed, all 4 slide potentiometer knobs were 3D printed and painted, a holder for the adafruit Trellis Boards, and a holder for the slide potentiometers so I could easily mount them all together.

Mike Glass and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Great project

Michael DiFilippo likes this.