1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dagoma Neva

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Geof, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

SO! I picked up a Dagoma Neva mainly because its a cheap delta, but wanted to see the "plug and play" feature they boast. The main thought is finding a machine thats cheap enough for a local classroom to buy but more importantly one thats easy enough they can use!

Out of the box you pretty much unpack and put the arms on the effector (carriage). The machine uses a specific flavor of Cura by Dagoma that slices a model with very few (darn near none) settings and exports as a .g (not .gcode). Currently S3D cannot be used with the Neva because of the .g file. I've reached out to S3D to see if there is something they can do.

So! For the problems and thoughts so far-

The dagoma did print out of the box but with extreme skipping of the extruder motor. Dagoma support was somewhat quick to respond with thinking the bowden tube was the issue so I cut a new length and installed. No go. Then they sent an experimental fix where the bowden is shortened by over half the length with a bracket you print to hold it (kind of). I'm testing that for them now and it is getting further without clicking but still occasional clicks. Stepper drivers are non adjustable and no firmware to be found as of yet.

They boast a perfect first layer every time which so far hasn't been the case for me. I'm still working with support, but I imagine they will replace the unit. More to come !

amazon link - https://www.amazon.com/NEVA-DAGOMA-assembled-calibration-printing/dp/B074W5JHRM

Cura Screenshot (simple!) -
    Screenshot (54).png

Horrid first layer and picture of the machine

20171127_090253.jpg 20171127_090522.jpg 20171127_095008.jpg 20171127_095012.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is the ".g" file actually Gcode and just named funny or is it another flavor of GCode entirely?

edit from the kickstarter: "Our NEVA is open an use Gcode. Our NEVA is able to print up to 50 microns with the right setting, and the right filament."

3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Seems another flavor. Standard Gcode exported from S3D is ignored. fish exported S3D. Dagoma0 from dagoma cura. Both gcode but saved file is odd. Both can be opened as usual (notepad or whatever) but exported file is odd. The dagoma has a SD port and literally a button :D. Save to SD (one file at a time with dagoma0 as file name) click button. Screenshot (56).png

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You might try a benchy from S3D that has been renamed.
    It could also potentially be a binary gcode

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Cant just rename it. S3D has options for "exported file type" but none are .g Hopefully its a quick thing S3D can just send me to make it work :D. if I can sort the first layer issue and actually control speeds and temps the machine may do quite well (I'm still guessing they will replace it)

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Replacement machine being sent by the OEM. Nice to see on a cheap machine. Even sending a shipping label to send this one back...kind of suprised being its as cheap as it is.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Replacement Dagoma shows that its been delivered to the home shop. Will get it unboxed and printing when I get there and try to upload some pictures to see if there is indeed something to be had here, or if its just to darn cheap to bother :D