1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Did my first print. Can you tell me what's wrong?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by algares, Jan 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. algares

algares New Member

Or better said, can you help me tune the settings

Hello guys, I just got my printer yesterday and when a ahead and printed this to test the printer. I didn't do the cube test. I read the getting started guide, a couple of other posts, and printed this. It was 5am

Anyhow please let me know from the photo what you think will help me out with a better print. I did noticed that on the perimeter loop it extruded very little amount of left over PLA (from the fabric?) which apparently was already there because my filament is blue and this was kind of orange.

In the slic3r tab of Repetier-Host just below the button to turn on/off the extruder is a temp set button. It was at 200 but I set all the setting in the settings panels like the guide said not here. I know it supposed to used those setting instead but I notice that it started printing at 200 instead of 190.

Layer height 0.3034
    Loop 1
    Infill 0.5

Printer it's a PLA only with No heated bed

Attached Files:

2. scotta

scotta Active Member

To me it does not look like it is extruding enough.
    Check to make sure you have the correct nozzle size (0.4mm) and correct filament size 1.75mm in the setup.

2 people like this.
  3. algares

algares New Member

Filament size is correct. Can't find a setting for nozzle size.

4. sjreggel

sjreggel New Member

This looks to me as under extrusion, i had the same problem when i got my printer and it turned out that my nozzle was partly clogged. But it could also be that the temp is too low, or there is not enough pressure on the hobbed bolt that feeds the filament.
    can you push the filament trough by hand rather easily or do you have to press real hard?

5. algares

algares New Member

Ok, I adjusted the z axis much better. Changes:
    layer height to 0.2046
    Infill: 0.7
    Loops 3 this made my day. I saw the skirt like a hotdog! Yes! Let see how it goes but looks way better now. 20140122_124201.jpg 20140122_124802.jpg

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks very nice. Are you getting a solid enough fill?

2 people like this.
  7. algares

algares New Member

Thank you, I have the infill in 0.7 right now. Looks good but I have no idea if its right. I guess I can try the next one with more infill. What do you suggest?

This is my second print ever :)

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Oh I just meant like in the first picture it didn't seem like it was coming out solid enough.

2 people like this.
  9. algares

algares New Member

Probably, but since this was a test I had the infill at 0.5 and increased it to 0.7. Next one should be 1 to be as solid as possible?

10. Melody Bliss

Melody Bliss New Member

you can have an infill of 1 (completely solid) but most things do not need that and it's just a waste of filament. Really depends on the purpose.

Infill is there to give it extra strength internally but also to help support areas if you need to have a solid top. Really kind of experiment. Most of the time I leave infill at 15% unless I've got a specific purpose for a part that I know is going to undergo higher stresses. But then I also tend to do 6 layer borders :p

2 people like this.
  11. polylac

polylac New Member

@algares: with solid mike didn't mean the %, he meant how it looked like.
    if you make 20% (0.2) that can be enough, but these walls you print they have to be solid.
    The question is not how solid your model is, but how solid the printet walls are.
    In the first pictures in the walls are holes and gaps = not solid.

3 people like this.
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Exactly what polylac said. If the print is good and flowing properly you should be able to exert a pretty substantial amount of force without fearing breaking the part. If you crack it almost immediately if or it "crumbles" under the pressure of your fingers it's too weak and your flow rate is bad.

13. algares

algares New Member

Thanks a lot guys and girls! When you guys refer to the first picture, is it the one in my post #1 or post #5 of this thread?
    I have to say while removing the part from the printer it broke at the base. It was like the layers separated from the pulling.
    So in order to fix this issue we do it with the layer borders and not the infill?

14. algares

algares New Member

See how it separated in the base. Fix by increasing Vertical Shells Perimeters? it was at 2
    Side View.png

How to make those holes fill better? Is it in the Horizontal Shells? Right now is set to Top: 2 Bottom: 2
    Top View.png

15. algares

algares New Member

Bump. Anyone? I'm waiting for an answer to start printing again :)

16. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Check your speed settings. Could also be a leaky nozzle, do you see filament coming out places it shouldn't

17. algares

algares New Member

I did change the infill and solid infill from 60 to 40 and I saw an improvement. I will have to wait and see how it goes. It looks good. I hope I can take out of the blue tape without breaking it apart. How long do you guys wait to remove the part from the bed?

18. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

instantly is fine

2 people like this.
  19. polylac

polylac New Member

Just try playing around with the setting in slicer.
    There you can see what a setting changes.
    You can also look at single layers, or layer from - to, so you maybe see why the top isn't solid.

The other things can have several causes.
    wrong temperature => layers won't melt togehter properly
    underexdrusion (because of: temperature, hobbed bolt slipping, speed to high, extrusion multiplier wrong setting, ...) => layers are not solid, don't stick enough

20. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

So here are a few of my prints, Pretty happy they are OK but just want to try and add a little fines to them running on standard robo medium settings but get a lot of flicking up at the corners not due to warping and a couple of them are just not perfectly neat on the surface and in the holes.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated...

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.