1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual 50mm Fan Mount

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by lowside, Mar 26, 2016.

1. lowside

lowside New Member

I finally got around to building a dual fan mount for my R1 (beta version) that moves the fans back out of the way when using a larger hotend. I built this to work with my E3D v5, but there's plenty of clearance so it should work pretty much regardless of what hotend you're running.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1444755

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This mount is based off of a fan mount designed by Tesseract which served me well for a long time before I decided to upgrade to a dual fan system. I modeled this one from scratch, but the design borrows heavily from Tesseract's original idea.

The mount is designed to work with 40mm or 50mm fans. I'm currently running these 50mm fans and the clearance from the print bed seems just about perfect. There are definitely cheaper options out there, but these are nice and quiet so I'm pretty happy with them so far.

The fan mount screws into the right side of the carriage using the two existing holes there. You can either use 3mm screws (that's the way I had Tesseract's mount installed) or if you manage to strip the holes out like I did, you can tap for a #6-32 machine screw which seems to be working perfectly for me.

I'm going to run it for a while without shrouds just to see how the print quality is, but I may also design some shrouds to go with it at some point in the future

mark tomlinson likes this.
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Nicely done

(and the v5 didn't have the puny 25w core so even a little over spray of air won't affect the hotend)

For the Beta units (like mine too) the E3D was one of those must have upgrades :)