1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual Bowden Extruder for Robo

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Mike Kelly, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'll probably just release it to thingiverse for anyone else that wants to try, once I know it works :)

2. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

This is pretty exciting stuff!!

would be awesome if you can get the 1 fan for both heat sinks to work less weight, simpler... i have been thinking about making a bowden set up for my robo just seems to make sense! this has given me some good inspiration and at the moment only looking for one print head as I cant at the moment work out why i would need 2... (please post any ideas!)

My E3d turns up tomorrow so that should be keep me busy with questions in the meantime but interested to see how this ends up! Nice work!

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I know from a heat transfer standpoint one fan is enough for both heatsinks. I like the current design because it fits snugly and doesn't make me sacrifice x distance. In fact I gain a few mm. Though I was thinking of more of a y approach in that the fan is centered between the two heatsinks and blows out the sides. I just don't like this as much because the enclosure would be harder to print without supports.

As for why you want dual extrusion? Well sometimes it's nice to have things in dual colors for one thing. Sure you could print it as 2 things and then assemble it but it's not as nice or easy.

The biggest reason is I do a lot of part prototyping and the cleanup of removing supports can sometimes damage delicate features or leaves residue that distorts the precision of the part leading to uncertainty. Being able to use a disolvable support material, while adding time to each revision, ensures more accurate features without risking damage.

Finally the 3rd reason I hear people use dual nozzles is different nozzle sizes. Say you want fast, solid, and precise prints. If you have a .25mm nozzle on one extruder and a .6 or higher on the second extruder you can have all of those options. Granted this means running 2 spools of the same filament, but if you really care about those requirements it's a small price to pay.

4. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Yep your last paragraph was the unheard argument I hadn't heard! I'm in! Color not such a priblem for me.

As fire the fan what your saying removes the "hot" and "cold" heat sinks becaus they are not in series?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I kinda get what you're asking but here's the 3 options i considered for cooling. I opted for 1 because of how well it supports the heatsinks. All would probably work.

fan ideation.png

6. tompeel1

tompeel1 New Member

Got it! See what you mean...

7. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

wow, looks awesome so far mike! great work.

8. Montravont

Montravont Active Member

Looks like it's been a bit since this was updated. Perhaps there was a new thread I'm missing. But I just thought I'd leave this here for your consideration.

http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken

[​IMG]

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I had considered the kraken, unfortunately it came out a month into my design process and would have cost a lot more money at the time. I'll be designing a bracket for the kraken for other users

10. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

Super interested in this, and would love to help in being a tester. I also considered the kraken and almost ordered one, but 4 extruders is way overkill. I thought about just using two nozzles out of the four but Mike's solution is way better.

Mike, let me know if I can help with testing or what parts I need to order to start building this.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Well the big reason I went with 2 e3d's over the kraken was due to already owning an E3D. I just had to buy a replacement heatsink so it was far cheaper than going with kraken.

Even if you only intend on using 2 nozzles I'd recommend the kraken as it can easily only use 2 nozzles and their nozzle leveling is a bit simpler. The should you ever want 4 it's much easier to get done.

That said I plan on posting a thread about how to dual the robo. I'm hoping to get it done before months end to get it into E3D's forum thread contest.

12. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

I already own two E3D hotends essentially haha. I bought one, screwed up on the tightening and stripped the nozzle and heatblock. Instead of just ordering those parts I ordered a whole new hotend, so I have almost two full E3D v5s sitting around. So this method is attractive.

EDIT - Plus I don't have the modeling expertise to design a mount for the kraken that would fit the R1.

13. Andreas Nicholas

Andreas Nicholas New Member

thank God I'm not the only one who did that, I look to the ground whenever I think about the first time I tried to assemble it -_-