1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Dual Bowdens on the ROBO do exist!!!!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by tesseract, Jan 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Well have after a lot of design changes Dual Bowdens are now a reality on the Robo3D printer. The following pictures are showing the installation at different point as the x carriage I am using. It is a replacement for the current x carriage if you so desire it is distinct in that it is mad of two parts, basically a front and back with an interchangable central plate. The plate is fairly simple and easy to make and set up for multiple configurations from the current Wade's Extruder system to the single or dual bowden setup or using a new as yet unknown extruder nozzle assembly as the come into existnace as long as it can be added to the front and back sction to make a complete extruder no more need to wonder if this extruder will fit simply make a plate and it can attach.

One thing to make sure of with different considerations the printable bed size may be altered so take that into consideration as well.

Mike Kelly and I have been working on this for a while now and he should be getting his out soon. I originally had a cam design built into mine but it proved to be a bit complex so I went back to a simpler design Mike and I had worked on together.

Any way on to the pics
    Remember these are WIP pics for the most part and it is still being calibrated but I did make one dual print and though its quality is not good at all it is a starting point and I know where I need to work.

The direction from here is upward and onward to better quality.

In no particular order sorry here they are

The X carriage the two gold front and back pieces and the blue central plate it also has blue holddown piece for the E3d and would not be needed for all uses
    2014-01-23 23.04.13.jpg

Another view
    2014-01-24 16.21.15.jpg

My own creation I call the "Office Depot Special" a direct drive extruderwith a super paper clip as the spring ever try getting those things apart well I finally put it to good and "proper" use
    2014-01-24 16.37.20.jpg

Part of the installation in progress I added disconnecting plugs so swaping other thing in and out would not be so complex in the future this delayed me some
    2014-01-26 09.19.33.jpg

another WIP pic
    2014-01-26 14.57.45.jpg

first extrusion
    2014-01-26 20.43.47-1.jpg

extending the extrusion
    2014-01-26 20.45.40.jpg

This is a 15mm cube print on ext 1
    2014-01-26 22.23.21.jpg

This is the base line first print the lotus barely discernible as I expected still need a lot of calibration first focus proper extrusion levels
    2014-01-27 08.19.48.jpg

another pic of hte lotus you can clearly see through the barely infilled area the two colors
    2014-01-27 08.19.54.jpg

Colse of how the plate mounts to form the x carriage
    2014-01-23 11.01.41.jpg

15mm cube printed from Ext 1
    2014-01-27 08.24.21.jpg

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

Go Jeff!

3. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

great start!
    I know I've told you my opinions on dual, but it's always fun to watch your progress on things :)

Aside from all the standard calibration stuff, you might want to try putting a few drops of oil filament before it goes into the bowden. You'll probably also need to use more retraction than you normally use.
    You may also want to use a slicer that allows wiper walls.

What materials are you running in that print? If the clear is t-glase or XT, don't forget that those two materials do not work well with PLA.

4. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

The dual is a side benefit for me I really wanted to get the bowden working that is where most of the configuration will need to be extrusion rates etc and when I get to them on the delta I want to have the info in my head

I am sticking with PLA for now , ie something familiar, too many unknowns and its not fun

2 people like this.
  5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I can't let Jeff get all the accolades :p

Though I'm not printing yet as E1 on my ramps board is not responding yet so only 1 of my 2 cold ends work. I am able to heat both up and push filament through!

[​IMG]

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

NO I do not want them we both did this Mike we worked together to come up with something that I think is pretty neat.

7. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

progress
    2014-01-27 13.28.41.jpg 2014-01-27 13.29.21.jpg
    infill is still a little light though

8. Deadwood

Deadwood Active Member

congrats to you both for pushing the boundaries of the Robo

9. John Rygg

John Rygg Active Member

Nice work congrats!
    Need a DIY write up

10. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

killer work, both of you!

11. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

OK, looks good. When do you start work on the Tri-biowdens?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Work on the kraken has already begun.

13. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Release the Kraken -

So does this have to be water cooled? Got a price on it? According to the video it is not released yet, but it could also be just his version. Do you have your own? Are you also doing an E3D Kraken?

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

According to that video he does not think it requires water cooling, and can be air cooled by attaching heatsinks. I'd water cool it but I heat people are just getting by with a resevoir and pump, no need for a radiator.

They released pre-orders back in september and some have already shipped out. I don't plan on actually building one until there's a control board capable of running all 4 that isn't insanely expensive.

http://e3d-online.com/The-Kraken 135gbp if you buy now. They claim the price will go up after the first wave.

My only progress so far is designing the kraken itself, then I just need to design a carriage for it. Maybe someone else will be able to use it before I can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.