1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered e3d hot end wont turn off?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by twopecker, Sep 13, 2016.

1. twopecker

twopecker New Member

I installed a e3d v6 on my r1+ a while ago, everything has been working fine. Today I go to print and the hot end will just heat up, regardless of the temp (i.e. I have the temp set to 208, it goes up to 288 where it errors w/ max temp). Also, the hot end heats up regardless if I have the tip turned on via matter control (i.e. as soon as I turn the power on, it starts heating up). I checked the the voltage, the r1+ is feeding a constant 12V to the hot end as soon as its turned on...Im assuming it should not do this (never checked before) and should only be providing the voltage when I have it turn on and the voltage should stop when the temp reaches the temperature desired. Its basically like the R1 is stuck in the "on" position w/ the hot end.

Thoughts?

2. daniel871

daniel871 Well-Known Member

Check where the hotend wires are plugged in and make sure you didn't get the hotend fan and hotend cartridge wire plugins swapped?

Geof likes this.
  3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

or when it hits 208C does the fan turn off? haha...wire switch sounds logical.

4. twopecker

twopecker New Member

Nope, definitely hooked up right there...pretty obvious which wires are which because of the awg. Just tested though, fan doesnt turn off when it goes past 208.

5. daniel871

In that case, I'd suspect that somewhere in the RAMPS the bit that controls the current to the hotend is stuck in the "on" state. So the RAMPS will need replacing.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I'd have to agree. sounds like a funky ramps or a mis connection.

7. twopecker

twopecker New Member

Kind of my guess as well since this one was working and then just stopped. Anyone know if this is generally covered under warranty?

8. daniel871

Depends, is the printer still within the 6-months warranty? If so, go on the online parts request form and fill everything out for the replacement Ramps with a link to this thread in the comment portions of the form.

https://robo3d.com/warranty-replacement/

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  9. Rigmarol

Rigmarol Well-Known Member

While waiting for the probable bad board, just for kicks unplug the thermister from the board and see if it heats up without it. Mostly I'm just curious.