1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

e3d Nozzles

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Mike Dioguardo, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dioguardo

Mike Dioguardo New Member

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

@Printed Solid might know for sure, I *think* they are... (don't have an R1 OR a Hexagon hotend so my word is not Gospel).

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes they are. The Hexagon uses a 6mm thread length while the E3D nozzles have a 7.5mm thread length. Both are M6.

This means that you can use E3D nozzle on the hexagon, but you can't use hexagon nozzles on the E3D

2 people like this.
  4. Mike Dioguardo

Okay thanks. Will i need to modify the printer settings cause of the added 1.5mm (add to z-offset) or will that automatically be adjusted when its doing bed leveling?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That will be adjusted for since the nozzle is the probe point. Won't care about 1.5mm different

6. Mike Dioguardo

Okay. Is there a noticeable difference when using a smaller nozzle? will you be able to get Stratasys Mojo quality prints?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Lol are you joking? For one thing I don't even know how good of quality the mojo puts out, but it's a $10,000 machine! If it could even get 90% the quality that would still be insane for such a price difference.

.25mm will help external perimeter quality, but it's never gonna be an SLA printer.

8. Mike Dioguardo

Haha of course i was over exaggerating. Ive seen the mojo print and it is very very fine quality mainly cause its smaller filament and nozzle size. So your saying X and Y axis quality will be more accurate? For example, trying to print small engraved letters or writing?

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yes it will. The biggest limiting factor on a cartesian printers X and Y direction is the nozzle diameter.

Your bend radius is limited to this value, so on a corner you're going to have around a .2mm radius. If you have a .25mm nozzle you can get a .125mm radius, etc.

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You will need to run slower as well to do the smaller nozzle sizes correctly. Also you will want to check and possibly adjust the extrusion rate.
    Otherwise, the smaller nozzles are nice and easy to use. Good when doing smaller objects or ones with finer detail.

11. tommcana

tommcana Guest

Thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.