1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D print head jamming

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jeremie Sloan, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

I've seen several discussions about jamming issues, but none seem to come up with a good answer. If there is one please link me to it. I am new to 3d printing but I have sucessfully printed quite a few parts with good results, I have a robo 3d upgraded with the e3d print head, I have had an occasional jam but worked through it by adjusting my settings, I am running pla filiment with temps varying between 200-225. at this point I cannot complete even a simple print, suddenly the hobbed bolt eats into the filiment every time befor I even complet one layer. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

I will give it a try, thank you

4. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

okay, I'm a believer... after I pulled the head apart and drilled out the blockage, I seasoned the tip with some seasame oil. Not to jinx myself but its printing very well now at 200. Thanks for the help Mike

5. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

okay, back to square one... after printer literally all week long (not joking, 24/7) without a single jam, suddenly the machine will not go more than 2 minutes without eating the filament. I originally thought it was a plugged nozzle, so I ordered some new ones. First attempt printed for about 3o minutes and then jammed, now I can't even get through one layer. The filiment will feed nice and smooth by hand but as soon as I clamp it in the head within 50mm the hobbed bolt eats into the filiment and all feed stops. Someone please help me out here, I'm literally about to throw this thing out the window... I've tried hotter and cooler, I've switched filiments, I've oiled and cleaned. I don't know where to go here. can someone suggest a print head that will work consistently? I don't want to blame the head as I've had plenty of operation without problems. Is there a better hobbed bolt? so frustrated right now

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How large is the melted zone when you pull it out?

Do you have any nylon to try and pull out charred filament?

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and have you replaced the stock hobbed bolt?

8. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

melted zone is about 1cm, I have had the head completely apart and cleaned out the feed tube, not sure what you mean by nylon.

I have not, I had a similar problem the week before last and after dissassembly and cleaning was back up and running for a week straight without a problem and now all of a sudden the hobbed bolt is eating fillament again. I have difficulty believeing that is the problem, but I'm open to suggestions, what bolt would you suggest?

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I have tried three different ones (from ebay, about 5 bucks each) and all of them work without this type of issue and each is different design from that of the stock. Probably the best is the last one and is referenced in the thread for the replacement hobbed bolt. That is the one I am using regularly.

As for the problem, it is probably not solely the hobbed bolt, but likely a combination of filament extrusion temperatures and the fact that the stock hobb is not as efficient.

10. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

Thanks Mark, I am trying to find the hobbed bolt replacement thread. Just came up with a much more serious issue though, after dissassembling the head and cleaning it all out, it now will not heat above 172. I may have damaged the thermistor or the heater, yet another problem to solve

11. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

Okay, "solved" the heating mystery.... started poking and prodding and discovered a bad connection on the heating element, I wonder if this has been the root of all my problems... as the head moves I'm having momentary loss of heat causing a jam? gonna order a bunch of new parts and try again

2 people like this.
  12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good catch. If the thermistor signal or the heater power is intermittent then you are going to have issues and clogging is one of those possibilities.

13. Jeremie Sloan

Jeremie Sloan New Member

Well that was a fail... replace the heater and thermistor to no avail, the head now will not heat above 140. I'm probably going to throw in the towel and scrap the whole unit if I can't figure something out soon, not worth the aggrivation I'm suffering

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.