1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

E3D Titan Extruder Filament load

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by woofguy, Aug 26, 2016.

1. woofguy

woofguy New Member

HI everyone,

first post on here (be gentle!)
    So I have two 3D printers, I have a Robo3D R1 Plus+ (my first printer)
    I also have an Ultimaker 2 Extended+.

I've currently got my Robo3D dismantled because I am in the process of upgrading it to an E3D V6 and Titan Extruder with Bowden setup. Much like Novice Expert on YouTube did but just one and not dual.
    My question is this, The Ultimaker loads filament beautifully and unloads the same. When you change filament, it sucks the filament through the bowden tube and then waits for you to confirm that the new color is being extruded out of the hot-end. has anyone here figured out how to make this work on the Robo3D with the V6 and Titan in bowden config? I have searched around, haven't found anything. Is it even technically possible? I have the XXL RepRapDiscount controller also, so I assume it could be setup in firmware?

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided!

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

That sounds like a custom firmware routine issued through their LCD to load filament. I can download their firmware tonight and see if I can find anything. If it is firmware, there might be a way to make that change for the Robo then. Would be a nice feature. One thing I wondered with @Marquis Johnson and his upgrade is having the extruder motors inside the top of the case having any issues with Z height.

woofguy likes this.
  4. woofguy

woofguy New Member

That would be amazing Danzca6! Thank you, i'm still learning the firmware stuff and i'll admit it's a bit of pain for me to wrap my head around. As for the the stepper mounted inside the top case, there is more clearance on the right side than the left. I never realized this until I started dismantling for this upgrade. nothing comes in contact with the stepper mounted in the upper most corner of the case. It would have to darn near come off the rails to strike it! I'm terrified of the firmware updates for the V6 and Titan though! I'm a technology engineer, but coding is not my strong point!

5. danzca6

It really is painless. We can help if you need it but the instructions are fairly clear on robos firmware page. Just download the arduino version and not the hex. That way you can modify it with the new settings you will need.

#5 danzca6, Aug 26, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    woofguy likes this.
  6. woofguy

woofguy New Member

7. danzca6

Haven't had a chance to look at it today. Been catching up on outdoor chores with all the rain we got this week. I just downloaded it and will try to decipher it tonight if I can get a chance to think. haha

woofguy likes this.
  8. woofguy

woofguy New Member

you rock!!

9. danzca6

@woofguy Hahah! no promises here buddy. I'm not a total Marlin expert but I can at least look and see what Ultimaker did to customize Marlin. Now quick look I see they added a lot of LCD specific files to the sketchbook. It's very interesting going though it. I think the big squirrel moment I am struggling with (it's an UP movie reference when the dogs get distracted by anyone mentioning a squirrel) is that Ultimaker seems to have developed a Marlin Simulator. I totally geeked out seeing that and now I'm intrigued by it. Might end up making a separate thread if/when I get that to work. You can supposedly debug through the code on you PC without a printer. Now that would be fantastic. So not promising any miracles for this weekend. I am also trying to finish some other open projects at the moment. One being getting the RC7 version working with ABL better and my IR height sensor.

That all said...the advantages of bowden over direct with the Titan is narrowed a lot over the old Greg's Wade. The Titan has given us the ability to drastically reduce the weight of the carriage. I'm not sold on the need to go bowden now with the Titan. I know with dual extrusion folks like to jump to bowden because to have 2 greg's wade extruders on the carriage would be crazy. I still think direct feed is a far simpler design and more reliable from what I have read. Still interesting in seeing the special LCD command Ultimaker did, but just wanted that said so you understand that there are other options.