1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Elephant OS

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by mark tomlinson, Jan 16, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What's the clock speed of the raspberry pi? Does it use an ARM chip?

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

2 people like this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

Concept is great IMO. But not sure where the proprietary part ends and the open part starts. Gcode parser and stepper control software modules look to be open source. I could not see if the hardware of the companion board is open? - but it does not look too complicated anyway

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is probably open. Most of the Kickstarter H/W like this has been (but I make hard assumptions). I could post a question on the kickstarter page I suppose.

I did see this:

"We have built our code to be as portable across these various linux boards as possible. The Raspberry Pi is just the starting point. The biggest task in doing the porting is getting a companion board set up with the exact right pin out to match the header on the board. That said, if any of our backers at the Preview level would like to deal with getting the pin outs to match a specific board, we can certainly supply binaries for that architecture. We will be launching a developer program in the next few months and will allow developers to request binaries for specific architectures through that as well."

So guessing it is not 'xactly open source on the code side.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Moderator
    Staff Member

#6 Ziggy, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2015
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that explains the 'bridge' board they are working on/with. There are a number of decent bridge boards out there already as others pointed out.
    It looks nice and if priced right could be a decent solution, but I like open better.