1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered End Stops causing Arduino board not to work

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael Miller, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Michael Miller

Michael Miller New Member

Hello! I have a Robo 3D R1. I was able to get it for free but I am having a hard time getting it connected. I looked at the wiring and I corrected a couple of things but was still dead and couldn’t connect. I could even see the port. I unplugged the endstops and it reconnected and I can see it now. Does anyone know what could be wrong with end stops? Anytime I plug them in the Arduino board goes dead... as soon as I unplugg the endstops. It connects and lights turn on again.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

ramps1-4connectors.png

See the endstop connectors in the top right of the picture? That is where they plug in and the plug should be on the top two wires (- and gnd) not the bottom two wires (- and +) or the endstop will short out the power.

3. Michael Miller

Thank you mark. Here is the board I am using. The highlighted area is where I am hooking them up. I am making sure the red is on the positive and black is negative and still getting the same issue.

Attached Files:

4. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

One of your stepper drivers looks like it is in backwards. Picture is too small to verify accurately.

Or maybe four are backwards.

5. Michael Miller

Would that cause that the end stops to stop working? How do I know which way is correct? Here are some closer pictures.

Attached Files:

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They need to jumper between S and - (not - and +)

7. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

All the potentiometers on the stepper driver boards should face the same direction. The pins labeled on the driver boards need to match the labels on the RAMPS board, generally the left pins (as per your picture) should be GND, VDD, 1B 1A, 2A, 2B, GND, VMOT

It looks like you have four correct and one incorrect. You can at damage either the stepper driver board or the RAMPS board if you try to use it this way.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. Michael Miller

Thank you for that! I will change them when I get home tonight and make sure they are correct.

9. Michael Miller

I am little confused on this. I see pins to jumper between -/+ however I don't see them for the S. Am I missing something? There are holes on the S row. Thanks a bunch for your help! I really appreciate it!

Attached Files:

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As you can see my RAMPS board does not look like that :)
    RAMPS endstops.jpg

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I am not sure if your RAMPS board is just wired wrong (or labeled wrong) or what.
    Given the position of the pins I am leaning towards wired wrong. The jumpers should be across the right-most two pins in my photo...(S and -)

12. Michael Miller

I will check when I get home tonight... I am not sure why it would be different?

Thanks!

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A number of potential reasons.
    1) My picture was from an R1 board, Robo used to use a generic RAMPS 1.4 and swapped with the R1+ to a custom one (but I don't think their custom one looks like yours)
    2) even before they switched to custom ones they could have had different batches
    3) Maybe someone already swapped yours for another one? Some of the cheaper ones are not what I would call the highest quality :) It took me 3 new ones to get one working one last time I replaced a RAMPS board. Amazon Prime saved me there.

14. Michael Miller

Thanks for the help. I was able to resoder the pins to the other setup. I was able to get it somewhat working again but I think the damage had already been done the board from other person who had worked on it. I am going to buy a new board. What would you recommend? Do I need to buy the base Arduino board(seemes to connect and work ok) or can I buy the RAMPS 1.4 board. Any links to something would be great! Again thanks for everyones help!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I usually suggest the complete kit if you can swing it since that gives you everything. All electronics.
    There are a number of them on Amazon -- this is an example, not an endorsement (shop around).

https://www.amazon.com/kuman-Printer-Controller-Arduino-Starter/dp/B016D6DSBW

If you have an R1+ then the RAMPS board is slightly different and will require rerouting a couple of the the wires (nothing major). If you have an R1 then it is a normal RAMPS 1.4

We have a thread I can direct you to if you need it that shows (in detail) how to convert an R1+ to use a standard RAMPS board.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Typically the standard RAMPS and the Arduino Mega can be found for about $15 US each indivdually.

17. Michael Miller

Ordered! Thank you. Also do you know where to buy the wire connectors and 2 hole clip for the LED Lights and the metal connectors for the that connect to the flat connection posts. What size is that wire? See pictures below.

Attached Files:

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The ones on the switch are spade connectors. I am not sure about the ones on the board -- perhaps someone else can chime in. They look like a type of JST connector (but I am not sure).

19. WheresWaldo

Staff Member

@Michael Miller most replacement RAMPS board kits are fully populated, so you don't have to solder anything to them. The pin headers use a connector called a Dupont connector. I am not sure what other connectors you are asking about.

mark tomlinson likes this.