1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruded not working ?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by sebrobin, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

Hello,

I received my printer today and everything looks fine except no material comes out of the extruder.
    It seems warm ( I cannot touch it) and repieter tells me it is at the right temperature.

I've tried with abs and pla with the same result.

The wheel of the extruder works fine but it is sliding on the wire.
    I have also sharpened the wire.

I have done the settings twice with no improvement.

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help

Seb

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Are you able to push filament through by hand?

3. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

No.
    I've tried to look inside the extruder with a pocket light if something was blocking but couldn't see much.
    Is there a way to "clean" the extruder ?
    Should I raised the temperature to 230° to melt the possible dust ?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I'm confused, has it ever extruded?

Describe the whole process you're going through to insert filament.

5. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

No it has never extruded. Only few drops can be seen on the bed that comes from the blue PLA that was used for the test I guess.
    I have followed the manual, that means that I have setup Slicr with different setting for PLA and ABS, I have trimmed the end of the wire, I warmed up the extruder to 210° and open the latch. If I try to push the PLA, nothing comes out. I closed the latch and started my job. At that time the hobbed bolt was sliding to the wire (when removing the wire, we can see the mark of the hobbed bolt).

My feeling is that the extruder is clogged but I'm not sure.

What do you recommend ?

Thanks for your help.

6. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

On my ROBO, there is a slight "catch" before the filament feeds down into the hot end. When you have the latch open, you might try pushing gently while moving it around a bit. You should be able to get a good 10mm, if not more, down inside the hot end. Then, if it is heated up, you will begin to be able to feed the filament slowly through by pushing firmly as it melts. If that doesn't work, check to see if the PTFE is cracked or broken, if that is OK, remove the hot end and see what you can see. You can also try "flossing" the orifice end with a high "E" string from a guitar when the hot end is fully heated up. Good luck!

7. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

Ok I'll try that tonight. What temperature should I set to do this ?
    When you say "remove the hot end" you mean unbolt the bronze part which has kapton around it ? If so that means that I have to tear up the kapton ?
    Sorry if my question are stupid but I'm really a novice here.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It doesn't sound like you're getting the filament (not wire) down into the extruder. Try pushing it through. You'll get it eventually.

There's slim to no chance the extruder came jammed. You're probably just not inserting the filament correctly.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Is it certain you are using the correct size filament... (i.e. 1.75mm, not 3mm)?

I assume if you are using the sample filament they provided it is correct.

10. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

210-220 should be fine for PLA (the filament that came with the printer).I agree with Mike K. - it is unlikely that it arrived clogged. The "hot end" is the whole assembly, not just the bronze portion with Kapton over it. There are two side-by-side screws that hold it in place in the extruder carriage. I would save this idea as a last resort after having tried everything else and not gotten it working yet.

11. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

This problem is solved ! The filament was not reaching the extruder until I unmounted the extruder and mounted it again. The good thing is that I now understand how it works.

Unfortunately I have another issue. The PLA does not stick to the bed. I'm working in my garage where the temperature is quite low (14° C). I first started with Kapton on the bed and remove it as it was not sticking. As it is quite cold in the room I set up the bed temperature to 85° (15° higher than the recommended temperature for PLA). The result is always the same. It does not stick enough. What temperature do you recommand for both the bed and the extruder for PLA ?

Thank you for your help.

2 people like this.
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use 40C in my 10C garage. Works well with hairspray.

I was running PLA at 210/197 for a while but lately I've been using 195 to good success. Depends a lot on the plastic.

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Exactly.

I have used anywhere from 195 to 215 for various PLA spools (most were closer to 210 than either extreme however). With a few test prints (small things) you can zero in on what temperature range the filament works best at.

14. imadethis

imadethis New Member

I received my printer a few days ago as well, and I could not get filament to extrude.

Support instructed me to remove the extruder. There are two screws on the side where the wiring drops down. After removing those screws, the extruder dropped out (I laid some bubble wrap down to catch it). I looked down the entry hole and it looked like some extra PTFE? material, cloudy grayish, material was jamming up the hole. Using a small drill bit, I spun the drill bit by hand to remove the blockage. Afterwards, I was able to get the filament inserted into the extruder.

2 people like this.
  15. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

I'm struggling with the temperature now. I tried to print Mr Jaws2 (smaller than Mr Jaws) with Robo3D PLA. I have 205° for the first layer and then 195°. My bed is at 40°.
    The first layer is good, it sticks well to the bed thanks to hair spray. The problem starts with the second layer which does not stick to the first one. And so one with at least the 10 first layer. If the previous layer are not destroyed by the extruder then I have a final piece where the first 10 layers are crap.

Can you please help ? Also, what about the fan ? Should I use it ? With Mr Jaws2 stl, the fan starts after the 2nd layer.

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, the stock extruder requires this lining... others like the E3D do not use this and instead have all-metal construction. Without the lining in place your extruder will not work correctly. If it is damaged, contact Robo3D support for a new one (a new PTFE sleeve) or swap to an all-metal hot end.

17. Drew Eby

Drew Eby Member

What are your settings on filament and speed? Make sure that you tell the printer you are printing out in 1.75mm diameter filament.

18. sebrobin

sebrobin Member

The problem was not temperature in fact but bed leveling.
    It has been fixed with the help of Tesseract

19. Haywiire

Haywiire New Member

I'm having this same problem but none of these ideas are working for me. The seemingly clogged hot end just dribbles out a little filament. I have a drill bit that is thin enough but i dont think its long enough to make it all the way to the extruder tip.do you think a longer one would help? Did you disconnect the plastic black shaft from the hot end or just remove the shaft from the assembly. I'm at a loss. Thanks, MIke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.