1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved Extruder assembly not moving or responding

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Phenom3030, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Hello all,

I've been experiencing an error recently where the printer stops mid print. So far it has only happened with Simplify3D and not Matter Control.

Today I noticed it happened again but now my extruder assembly doesn't respond to commands in the jog control section of S3D. I cannot get it to move on the z axis with the presets and the extruder itself does not heat up. The bed will heat up and the fan near the board will kick on. But the extruder, its heat sink fan, and the blower fan do not respond.

This problem occurred when I left a print going.

I don't know what to look for any and all help is greatly appreciated!

(It is an R1 purchased April this year. Has E3D v6 hot end with volcano upgrade.)

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I would suggest trying to remove the USB from the equation and stage then start a print from the SB card.
    See if it stalls as well.

I had a phase where Simplify couldn't reliably work printing over USB (this was with Windows 8/8.1).
    It has not reoccurred with Windows 10, but I had placed a powered hub in there as well.
    Either way the SD card prints never failed for me.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Sounds like a loose 12 connection on the Ramps

4. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Mike, I'm not familiar with what that means. Do you mind explaining?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The 12v power connects to the ramps. He is suggesting that connection is loose:

Bottom left in this picture

Arduinomega1-4connectors.png

Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

Hey gents, sorry for the delayed reply. Was away on a trip for work. Finally back home and have a chance to work on it.

I performed the lead screw upgrade, but still can't get the extruder assembly working. In MatterControl after clicking preheat nothing happens. Temp reading remains at room temp. I checked the area where Mark suggested and all set screws seem firm.

Not sure what else to do...

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Other than swapping the RAMPS I don't have a lot more suggestions.
    If you have verified that the connection to the RAMPS is secure and the RAMPS/Arduino are secure...
    Make sure the log shows MC is sending the commands to the printer, but assuming all of that is true I would suggest replace the RAMPS and see if it responds.

8. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

So after pulling a late nighter with my printer I've narrowed it down to this silver box (power supply?)

Seems when I jiggle the red wires the extruder assembly / X carriage will get power. Extruder heats up and it can respond to movement commands from the program. But it cuts in / out sporadically.

Submitted a replacement part request in hopes to resolve this issue before my warranty runs out first week of October.

Attached Files:

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, that is the Power Supply.
    I would suggest checking that the wires are landed well on the output connectors (not loose or frayed).

It could be a loose connection to the P/S. Getting that out to replace it or work on it is a pain...

10. Phenom3030

Phenom3030 Member

I pulled the PS and checked the wires, and reset them with their set screws. Still getting intermittent power to the X axis carriage.
    Exchanged emails with Robo 3D support as well. They said they'd send a new PS.
    Hopefully that does it.