1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Fan

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by jogul, Oct 7, 2016.

1. jogul

jogul Member

I think my extruder fan is inoperable. Is it supposed to be on all the time? Mine doesnt seem to be running at all and as a result my extruder is clogging. How can I test it? What is the replacement if I need a new one? I can't see where there is a quick disconnect for it - is there one burried up in the cable bundle or would I have to cut the wired and solder a new fan in. Sorry for all the questions but I am new to this.

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there welcome. Flick the fan with the power on , does it turn on? The proper way to check it is disconnect that connector and check for 12v. Be careful not to short ot or you will damage the printer. You can get waterproof jst connectors and put them on the new fan to utilize the stock wiring.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

and make sure we are all talking about the same fan ... the one attached to the side of the extruder, not the one that blows on the printed parts (because the parts fan is NOT always on).

4. jogul

jogul Member

Fan does no turn on. The wire leads from the fan go on up into the plastic cable shield. I don't see any connector. So I guess I will have to cut the wires.
    Correct. Its the one that screws onto the shoud that fastens around the heat sink on the extruder. I pushed the plastic covering on the wiring harness up as far as I could and the two wired from the fan extend on up with no connector.

Geof likes this.
  5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Was this a new printer ? Stock or e3d ? If used someone may have removed the connector

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

More specifically which model of printer is this? The beta and early R1 models did not have connectors.
    Just an FYI :)

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Sure wish i had a beta so i could know these things....cough....cough lol :D.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hey I'll let one go cheap :)

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Your cheap or my cheap LMAO.

10. jogul

jogul Member

I bought this on used Ebay and don't know if it would be the early model or not. There are definitely no connectors on the fan leads. Right now I am tracing wires to see where the fan is connected underneath. I want to see if its getting 12 volts before I order a new fan.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good idea. It sounds like a beta or an early R1. Does it have the hexagon hotend or a J-Head? That would tell you which it is.

12. jogul

jogul Member

How can you tell the difference Here is a picture. Incidently I checked the voltage at the fan and it is zero. Maybe on this one, the fan isn't always on?

Attached Files:

13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That looks like a hexagon with no fan attached so probably an early R1. If the fan is attached I just don't see it :)

The extruder fan (again, not the one you DO have attached in the photo above, the larger black one -- that is the parts cooling fan) should always be on.
    Make sure it is attached correctly to the RAMPS board. It connects to the board where the little RED square is in this picture:

RAMPS Wiring Robo.gif

Geof likes this.
  14. jogul

jogul Member

I just clipped the wires at the extruder fan and I am getting 12 volts so that is good. I have anew 12 volt fan coming tomorrow from amazon. I'm going to reapir the cracked shoud as a temporary fix until I can print a new shroud. That should do it. (P.S.
    The reason the fan had stopped working was the wires were shorted going into the fan.)

#14 jogul, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    Geof and mark tomlinson like this.