1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder Heat Fluctuating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Garnet, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garnet

Garnet Member

My printer has been working fine, but in the last few prints I've tried (the same pieces it was printing just fine earlier) the extruder temperature fluctuates up and down. It will get up to around 190 and then drop down to 140 or 120, then head back up.

Sometimes it will do this before a print, and sometimes it will start printing fine and then at some point the temperature will drop and it will stop extruding (the printer continues to follow the pattern to print the part).

Also sometimes after killing the print the heat will cycle up and down.

It's all very random, sometimes it drops to 140 and goes back up, sometimes drops to 70, and it can max at 190 or 180 or wherever.

I don't seem to have manual control of the extruder either. I can control the heat bed and extruder fan, but the extruder temp. It will say Heating Extruder at the top, but the temp won't rise.

Any idea what could be wrong?

#1 Garnet, Jul 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2014
  2. cosber

cosber Active Member

I wish I could answer for you. This is a most frustrating issue for me. I've never had the fluctuation problem. I usually preheat both the extruder and bed. This is when I see the extruder not do anything. Sometimes I would go back the next day and it would suddenly work, other times, I'd go back every day for 4 or 5 days with no luck and then it just like that it works like a champ. I am fortunate enough to live in San Diego and Jerry at Robo has been gracious enough to help me with a issues I have. I've take the printer down to the shop 3 times. We adjusted things, played with the software, did some test prints in an effort to get it to print successfully for me. EVERY time I've brought it home and fired it up, the extruder wouldn't heat. Everytime! It just so happens that today I took it in for a microswitch problem, we did a test, everything was fine. Brought it home-no heat. I guess the printer just doesn't like to travel. You might say something is loose and maybe bumps off while traveling and it would make sense. But it sits very quietly on the seat next to me, and doesn't have any problems going to the shop. I always check the connections and there is nothing visual to indicate a problem. Tomorrow I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it decides to behave. More than likely, both our problems is in the hot end. As soon as Robo gets more of the new hot ends in stock, I'm going to get one installed. Until then, I'll hope the printer gods give me a break. Good luck with yours.

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you can't get the manual control working in matter control could you try repetier host?

4. Garnet

Garnet Member

I should have mentioned, I'm using Repetier.

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Perhaps the cartridge heater core for the hotend?
    They all pretty much use the same one (a 40w model).
    You can pick them up cheap if you want to try and swap it.

(I keep some spares myself, I had one go 'toast' on me and it was similar in that it went flaky first and then just died)

Here is one example (I have no association with the seller--you can possibly even order one through Robo3D):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-Repra...210?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33818fb222

E3D sells them (and I am sure all the other hotend makers do too):

http://e3d-online.com/RepRap-Spares-Electronics/12v-RepRap-Heater-Cartridge

I assume you have checked the wiring back to the ramps board from the hotend...

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

You can also try Printed _Solid (one of our own) he may have them for sale as well

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Can't hurt to ask, when last I did, he was only stocking the hotends (but he may have decided to add the parts).
    By all means hit him up first, he is a great guy to do business with.

8. 1d1

1d1 Active Member

I had that with a wire to the heater cartridge. It was broken inside the heat wrap and worked fine until it got moved during a print...no heat....wait! Back again. Replaced the heater and all is well.

2 people like this.
  9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yep, that is almost exactly what mine did.

10. Krish

Krish Member

What firmware are you running? If you recently upgraded it to V4 of the firmware from Mattercontrol, it limits the heated bed to 85deg. Not that you would be using 85deg on PLA, but still I have to mention this. If you go beyond that it will hit the safety switch and shut both the extruder and bed off. If you leave it long enough it sometimes starts heating back up again after the fuse is reset but it will repeat the action.

If you are on V4 firmware, Revert the firmware and see if that helps.

#10 Krish, Jul 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2014
  11. Garnet

Garnet Member

Attached Files:

#11 Garnet, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  12. cosber

cosber Active Member

I'm going to tear mine apart tomorrow. I hope I have the same luck. My fear is, I'm really good at taking things apart-it's putting them back together where I run into trouble. Luckily, I know where Jerry works!;)

13. cosber

cosber Active Member

Can those of you who have removed your hot end for whatever reason tell me how hard it was to remove the two screws that hold it in place? I found the head of both screws were stripped and one of them wasn't even screwed in all the way. It's like the builder stripped it and gave up. I got a mini vice grip to try to remove it and even with it gripped so tight I hurt my hand tying to lock it, it won't turn the screw. Another trip to Robo headquarters as soon as Jerry responds to my email. It's been a week and no reply, but Brayden is coming to the library Friday and I will talk to him directly. I can't wait to see how they fix this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

They can be a real pain.
    IIRC the FAQ suggested swapping them for the allen wrench style heads when you replaced the hot end (and I concur). If they are stripped you just need to get a wrench or something on the head and get them out. I had ONE that stripped and I had to use a small adjustable wrench to 'monkey' it out.

15. cosber

cosber Active Member

Like I said, I used a vice grip and you can't grip anything tighter than that! I would surely use hex heads to replace them, but first, getting them out is going to be difficult.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. Garnet

Garnet Member

I used vice grips as well (a new set of long nose with sharp teeth, my old ones were too rounded). They are very tight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.