1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder motor

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gripp, Jul 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gripp

Gripp Member

So my extruder motor or motor cable seems to have went. The motor just clicks but doesn't fully turn, except on retraction. I bought a replacement motor and cable. How do I remove the gear from the end of the motor so I can put it on the new one?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There should be a set screw on it that you can loosen, but as with all things Robo -- your mileage may vary.
    If there is no set screw heat it (the outside center of the shaft/gear) with a hair dryer and press it off of the shaft (pry it off with a screw driver or wrench).

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

When I printed replacements (or entire extruders) I always added a small (4mm) allen set screw to hold the gears to the shafts.

4. Gripp

Gripp Member

The gear came off, but the peg shape on the new motor only had one flat side, so I heated it with the hair dryer to get it on. Had to look into flipping the wires at one point because it was going in reverse, but other than that, an easy change. Thanks for the help.

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.