1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder multiplier question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Larry H, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry H

Larry H Member

I tried 20 seconds and same issue.
    I have the Speed override settings at
    Adjust printing speed for layers below 20 seconds
    Allow speed reductions down to 15%

The retraction speed is at 30 mm/s, it sounds bad but works well.
    Retraction Distance: 1.00 mm

I'm trying to lower the temperature from 195 to 190. If that doesn't work I was thinking maybe of trying a retraction z vertical lift of 1mm? o_O

2. Larry H

Larry H Member

It didn't work and LOL I guess the retraction Z-Vertical lift gave me some stringing. I wouldn't think at a190C temperature that should be the cause.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Temperatures vary (a lot) I print PLA at 180 on one printer and 175 on another.
    In this case it is not the temperature itself, but the time spent with the hot nozzle on the previous layers. Go to a minimum layer time of 30 seconds (at least) and see.

Larry H likes this.
  4. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Yes it will not vary the speed of the fan unless there is a line/layer after the 100 or it can be adjusted with the LCD controller as well.

5. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok just making sure since I tried Speed Overrides->Adjust printing speed under 35 seconds. It was a little better but not by much, going up further on that might not be worth it. Is there anything else I can try to fix this but the model is looking like at least part of the cause. Much like some of the printer calibrations the finer lines aren't there because it can't be printed at that fine of a detail.

I finally tried the DPrime Calibration and it came out looking fine. The dome has one slight extra blob but that could just be an errant strand of filament. This was with the speed overrides turned off and one other thing is my primary layer height is 0.1500mm
    IMG_7276.JPG

mark tomlinson likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That looks fine and also notice that the tips of the small prongs are not melty*.
    Since that is a fairly small layer at the point those are printing, however long it takes to do that I would set as the minimum.

*highly technical term

Ryan TeGantvoort and Larry H like this.
  7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

P.S. I would not go much lower on layer height with the stock nozzle.

Larry H likes this.
  8. Larry H

Larry H Member

I had a lot of fun the layer height and zoffset on the default profile of the R1+ in Simplify3D. Actually it was probably more switching from MatterControl to any other slicer my printer handled the layer height a LOT differently.

9. Larry H

Larry H Member

Lol nice,
    Ok thanks I think one of the first tries for the pyramid model I printed without speed overrides. I might try that one once more with the same current settings or maybe twice if the first one doesn't work and have something else printing with it.

10. Larry H

Larry H Member

It worked better for one triangle but still a bit melty. I tried the last suggestion for a small melty item from a troubleshooter when one is a problem make two. This worked much better, I think I'm going to stick with this for now.
    thank you all for your help
    IMG_7279.JPG

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If two worked then absolutely the longer minimum layer time will sort it (since printing two or more items is forcing a longer minimum layer time). However you want to tackle it though as long as you have a handle on what causes it :)

Larry H likes this.
  12. Larry H

Larry H Member

Thanks I do agree with you on that. I do have a handle on the real cause but I had the speed overrides set to 35 seconds and speed reductions down to 20% it had doubled the time and from the melty look it would probably have to at least triple the time. Two objects doubled the but moving the extruder completely away likely made the big difference. DPrime likely worked better because of the separate towers.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

This is another slicer specific behavior. Each one tends to handle it differently.
    IIRC when I used repetier it would do a linear slow-down to reach the minimum layer time, Simplify3D would finish the layer then move the extruder away for the time to expire and then go back at the next layer.

If you can print multiple objects it is a win regardless due to the fact you do not have the extruder just sitting there... waiting :)

Larry H likes this.
  14. Larry H

Larry H Member

Hmm I didn't see at the end of the print if Simplify3D moved the extruder away to wait for the time to expire then go back at the next layer. I think the objects that would give me problems are ones I'm either going to need multiple prints of or small enough a second print isn't that big of a deal :)

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Simplify3D will take a multi-style approach. If it can simply slow the layer down to the minimum speed you set and make it work time-wise it will do that, however if not then it will print the layer and move the nozzle away for the time to expire. That is rather nice in that if you want the layers to still print faster, but you know that smaller ones need the delay it largely only impacts the smaller ones.

I am not sure any slicer gives you really specific control over how the minimums are met, but I like theirs the best.

Larry H and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.