1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder multiplier question

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Larry H, Jul 14, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry H

Larry H Member

Hi,
    In running the test for under/over extrusion I found for 100mm it's only printing out about 90mm. After I try a atomic pull tonight to clean it if it's still a problem then would setting my extruder multiplier from 1.0 to 1.1 fix the problem since technically it's only extruding at 0.9 or is that a really bad idea?

thanks

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

you should calibrate your extruder.

Larry H and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Fix it permanently per the video @Geof linked.

Larry H likes this.
  4. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok I watched through the video again and I just have one more question. Lol not sure why running a full firmware update on my printer makes me more nervous then when I updated my TV firmware which is why I'm running through the whole process.

Ok so for example if I get this for a M503 command:
    READ: echo: M92 X80.00 Y80.00 Z800.00 E723.38

I then take (723.38*100)/90 = 803.75

I can use a M92 command (M92E803.75) to temporarily change the extrusion value and if it works I can use M501 to save the changes out permanently rather then needing to do a full firmware update?

thanks

5. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

You can store it in eeprom like that. I prefer fixing the issue in the firmware so i dont have to remember about the eeprom.

Same thing just preference i suppose :)

Larry H likes this.
  6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Firmware is permanent, EEPROM is 'sticky' (fairly permanent).
    Something like this is better set permanently.

Larry H and Geof like this.
  7. Larry H

Larry H Member

IMG_7243.JPG IMG_7244.JPG
    Ok thanks,
    Yeah after I kept getting M501 when I tried changing the extruder steps per mm setting I think I'll go with Firmware if it's needed.
    I tried an Atomic Pull last night just in case it was that and I was sort of successful. It was either that process cleared something or maybe I had the tension all wrong on the hobbled bolt because it's extruding accurately now.
    I printed a cube and it's a bit better but first 2 top layers were pretty much just extruding in the cube center not connected to the walls I think I kept the layers at 5 or 6 count and the layer height is 1mm

I saw the bridging multiplier was set to 100% and the help file stated if you lower it that helps with sagging. I set it to around 75% then a little lower for the second one which gave me these results.
    IMG_7243.JPG

I tried upping the outer overlap by 5% which gave me this.
    IMG_7244.JPG
    still thin on the top but when I opened it up the first layers look better then they had.
    IMG_7245.JPG
    Could it be the temperature is too high for the first few bridging layers and it's just sticking too much? If it's not that I welcome any suggestions as to how to make this better.

thanks

8. Ryan TeGantvoort

Ryan TeGantvoort Active Member

Why don't you just use some infill rather than trying to bridge? 10% or even 5% will fix your issues. If you are trying to set your Bridge settings, I would try a different calibration thing first. I used this one to get my settings for PLA bridging: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:12925

Larry H likes this.
  9. Larry H

Larry H Member

Thank you, I tried the calibration thing from the link you sent and I got this.
    I might try to tweak a few more settings after my next print but the last time I tried printing the bridge calibration was before I got Simplify3D and it wasn't anywhere near this good.

Attached Files:

10. Ryan TeGantvoort

Attached Files:

Larry H and mark tomlinson like this.
  11. Larry H

Larry H Member

I just finished up that one, not bad at all. The 70 degree did get a bit wavy but it still worked better then I thought it would. The wavyness could have also been in part from getting up to 82 in the room it was printing.
    IMG_7268.JPG IMG_7269.JPG

Ryan TeGantvoort likes this.
  12. Ryan TeGantvoort

Not too bad, it looks like you have some stringy issues now though! It's a never ending battle!

Larry H likes this.
  13. Larry H

Larry H Member

Indeed it is, especially where I have my printer it's hard to keep the ambient temperature under 80 and it starts oozing or stringing a bit more. If I tweak the settings I'll probably try the DPrime Test Object to reduce stringing.

mark tomlinson and Geof like this.
  14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is an excellent idea :)

15. Larry H

Larry H Member

Lol so I found a cooler looking model to try for stringing issue and my real problem with the stringing. Now I did just get Simplify3D not that long ago so still learning everything about it like for example checking both tabs for retraction settings o_O Retraction wasn't turned on at all, which makes that overhang one not too bad considering it wasn't on at all ;)
    I printed this out and there's as few strings on the other sides too.
    IMG_7272.JPG

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Your top printed a bit hot. Set a minimum layer time so the fan can cool those smaller ones.

Ryan TeGantvoort and Larry H like this.
  17. Larry H

Larry H Member

Ok I tried setting the minimum layer time but I was watching the end and it almost looked like the extruder was a hair too low and was pushing the filament around but it's just the top where it happens. Could it be too many top layers or parameters or should I make the layer time shorter?
    thanks

18. Ryan TeGantvoort

What is your current setting? I still have the default set at 15 sec and have not had any issues. I can try to print that thing and see what happens. I need something to print tomorrow anyways!

Geof and mark tomlinson like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would actually make it a bit longer.
    If the extruder were too low it should show up earlier than that.
    It takes a number of seconds for the plastic to cool down and if it is not then the extruder will affect the previous layer.

Make sure the fan is on 100% by then as well.

Geof and Ryan TeGantvoort like this.
  20. Larry H

Larry H Member

It's at 10 seconds for the second one, I had it at 15 for the first one so I had it backwards and should bump it up to 20 seconds.
    Just wanted to doublecheck the fan speed should stay at 100% after layer 2 because the last layer speed is set to 100% right?
    Capture.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.