1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Extruder Not Heating

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Truerobotech, Oct 2, 2015.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Truerobotech likes this.
  2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson Please do not edit your post above, I like the Hater Core.

Truerobotech and mark tomlinson like this.
  3. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Your correct Mark, Ill correct my terminology. I swapped the heater core.

I do have cura installed and tried to start a print so I could attempt preheat no result but im an even greater noob at cura so ill have to look it over a bit and reply.

Lol yes hater core seems to fit this issue very well

4. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Didn't want to leave this thread out there with no replies for to long. Started a new job and so time has become sparse for repair.

However I am still chasing wires, I should have more time next week to really dig in.

5. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

@Truerobotech, I had a weird issue come up with the wiring. The 4 conductor cable that connects the power supply to the RAMPS board had some sort of intermittent connection error. It was aborting prints with a Marlin error. I ended up finding it when replacing my bottom fan with a bigger one as it would trigger the error when I slightly moved the wiring. I replaced the four conductor wire with some I had at home and it hasn't hiccuped since.

When a manufacturer goes to China and does contract production (like Robo and hundreds of other companies) if they don't have an agent, on their payroll, a Robo employee, on-site to inspect their contractors, you really never know what you will get. For Chinese management it is all about volume and bottom line.

All that said, I know this post really doesn't help you find the problem, but it should let you know that it is possible that bad things slip into production without Robo knowing.

By the way, hiring an agent under contract in China, can be no better than not having one at all. That is why I mention they need to be a Robo employee.

Truerobotech likes this.
  6. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Thanks @WheresWaldo that makes sense, I have finally had a few minutes to look at the printer appears I have also lost the response to extrude manually + or minus. At the moment im going to pull the boards completely out and visually inspect then trace individual wires, and reconnect it all. As of this moment all wires are out of the bundle to I can trace them 1 by one and so far I dont see any burns or breaks :( the search continues. Ill update again in the next day so

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I assume you are extruding (or trying to) while hot :)

It could be a stepper driver for the extruder stepper in addition to the possibility of a bad wire or connection.

Truerobotech likes this.
  8. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Nope sadly still no heat at all in the hot end, its still not getting warm. I was essentially just seeing if controls were functioning. XYZ all work but E extrude I get nothing (no filament in place). Im at the point of swapping to the backup replacement RAMPS I bought just to again try and eliminate the RAMPS as the issue.

9. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It will not extrude cold.
    That is a firmware thing. So if the hotend is not getting 'hot' you should NOT be able to make the extruder extrude.
    Check your comm log and you should see a "COLD EXTRUSION PREVENTED" warning

Here is the line in CONFIGURATION.H

#define EXTRUDE_MINTEMP 170

Below that value it is considered a COLD EXTRUDE

#29 mark tomlinson, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Truerobotech likes this.
  10. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

That could be good news then as far as the extrude, now I must confess I do not know how to read that log, I google searched and tried within the forums figure something like that would be a sticky? have I missed it.

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Heh, it is a mess to read and normally quite boring, but on the bright side... errors usually stick out.
    It is harder in software that buries the log someplace not readily visible.

Can't say where it is in others, Simplify it is on the Machine Control panel (there is a GCode tab).

If you can't get the extruder hot then I would not expect it to extrude. Nothing broken there.
    Getting it hot we should be able to deal with. If you swapped the core and nothing changed it must be the RAMPS.
    There is a MOSFET (Q1, Q2, Q3) that drives each of the main output channels and that may be dead/kaput on the one for the extruder heater. (easier to swap the RAMPS IMHO than to repair the MOSFET, but can be done -- I have)

Truerobotech likes this.
  12. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

I think Im stuck in as for log and software options my only machine is a Mac so I am using Cura or Matter Control. There is already a new RAMPs board installed but it could be a POS, not trusting the quality of this parts I ordered two RAMPs, I have not tried the second, so I guess thats next on the list. Ill post up any results

13. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Could I ask a favor Mark, in the schematics provided in the first page of the thread can you confirm jumper placement for me? all get jumpers in JP 2,3,4, 5 and 6? Having to step away as long as I did I would hate for jumper to be biting me in the butt and not know it.

14. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The jumpers are for the stepper drivers, no?
    You should have them in the stepper drivers for each Axis (X/Y/Z) and (potentially) two extrduers (E0/E1)
    2/4/5/6 are essential, 3 is for E1 I think so not critical unless you have two exrtruders.

edit: fixed

Truerobotech likes this.
  15. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Ahh I see the *Fixed note, apology for delayed reply.

Still process of swapping in the other RAMPs. Its been a few crazy weeks and no end in sight. Should have a little time this evening to finish the swap and report back. Beyond this Im looking at next steps including replacement of primary board. I am assuming Im reaching direct to 3d robo for this part?

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

yes, under warranty you should go to Robo for replacements (even if you swap in your own).
    Out of warranty you can certainly get Arduino Mega and RAMPS 1.4 boards cheap enough.

(you can get an entire electronics kit on Amazon : Arduino, Ramps, all the stepper driver daughter cards -- usually under $60 US)

Truerobotech likes this.
  17. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Every get so accustom to the result that you just expect it? and then OUCH ya burn yourself.

Hot end is working Im not sure if it was the 1st new ramps poor connection or what.

I am re routing wires and reassembling, hope to run a test print tomorrow night to confirm and close this thread.

Ill report Back

mark tomlinson likes this.
  18. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Updating to SOLVED! I still have some reassembly and other items to sort but the hot end is getting hot and reporting!

So to sum up for future readers -
    Issue - No heat at the hot end (wont heat up to print)
    Removed the heater element and hooked to 12v power source for a second or two the heater warmed up eliminating the heater as the problem.

Per Mark - Check the RAMPs board visually for any damage, a burn mark was not visible until the boards were removed and separated from each other.

Fix - Ordered new RAMPs board (x2 one to use one as back up) and installed. New RAMPs Board was not an exact match to original, my case fan plug (pins) spot did not exist on the new board. Reviewing the schematics on page one (again thanks for providing Mark!) I was able to locate an open plug (pins) with power.

Also note it took me the two boards, after I installed the first board my issue persisted. I removed and traced all wires for burns or breaks none were found. As a result I installed the second board and the issue was resolved. Its possible my first board is good maybe I did not wire things back up real well the first time.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Excellent! Glad to hear you got it sorted.

I have had bad RAMPS boards myself. Even a new one I had held out as a spare was not working correctly when I needed to use it :(
    I am not going to swap one again... next time I am just replacing the pair with a smoothie board or a BBP or something similar (and all-in-one).

Yes, that is a more expensive route, but not a show-stopper. The alternatives offer a lot of extra features.

Truerobotech likes this.
  20. Truerobotech

Truerobotech Member

Aww Mark every time you post i have a new reason for the search function! I have to look up the smoothie board and BPP. I would easily follow suit on a single board. I am one of those people (as I am sure you and a number of our fellow forum members are) that says "Well it broke, I am going to be in there fixing it so what else can I do/change/fix/repair/ and or upgrade!"

And thats where I sit right now, I need to reassemble and print out some cable chains, since I'm doing that and I need to install the V6, there are those required parts to print which just leads me to what else can i print now before ripping apart the printer to get the most out of this forced maint/upgrade session!

Again thanks for all your assistance hope I can do the same for other members in future.

:)