1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder Oozing Before Print

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Garnet, Jul 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garnet

Garnet Member

The extruder oozes filament as it is heating up. I've set for three lines of skirt so I have time to pull it away which usually cleans the extruder before the print starts, but it's a bit of a messy way to start a print. I'm wondering if there is a better solution, or if a better hot end like the E3D will stop this?

2. AxisLab

AxisLab Well-Known Member

You will always get some ooze. One of the most common used tools of mine is needle nose tweezers. every print I clear it just before it is at temp. Helps to clear away stringies and boogers too. (those are the scientific terms, trust me)
    You will get very used to it and a good reason for using the skirt. Besides making sure the layer is right, the skirt helps the flow get "primed" before starting the print.

2 people like this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I use a pair of hemostats :)

but @AxisLab is right, this is often the norm. It can mean you are running the nozzle temp a bit high, but with some filament you just need to and so you work with it.

4. Garnet

Garnet Member

Okay, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.