1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partial Answer Extruder Stuttering In Place

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by gruntybob, Feb 18, 2017.

1. gruntybob

gruntybob New Member

Greetings, all. I'm an original KS backer, and have never been able top print a single object completely due to constant breakdowns. Although it's been four years since then, and I want resolution, wanting to deal with this is daunting as it has not been made easy by any means.

First, the brackets for the Z-axis rods were snapped on arrival, the PSU died shortly thereafter, and now the controller has released its magic smoke. CS hasn't been very responsive throughout this; I couldn't even post on the forums as I didn't get the verification email for days, despite reaching out. Overall, I'm really disappointed in this company and wish I never backed this product. Two of my friends, whom were also backers, share a similar sentiment.

Despite all this, I really want to get this R1 to work. In this case, I can get a print to begin, however about halfway through the extruder stutters in place and the motors whine. I have seen no physical damage on the board or to the components, however the controller does smell thoroughly cooked. Where should I begin looking on the controller to fix this issue? Thanks!

2. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi there. If you have a kickstarter its a beta. Thats a good thing as all your components are open source. If the smoke came out of the boards id suggest replacing. Though if the extruder motor is the only one doing what you say you can tune the stepper driver to see if its able to be saved...still suggest replacing.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

We can get you going.

5. gruntybob

gruntybob New Member

Awesome! Thanks for the quick responses all!

I'll get that on order and see where that takes me.

I was a bit frustrated when I typed up my first post after I began troubleshooting. Probably won't do that again.

To clarify, the print head just jitters around in spot after 20 minutes or so into a print; cannot be controlled or paused. No comms errors show and the g-code continues to xmit to the board. Using my DMM, I verified the PSU is outputting the correct power.

6. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

@mark tomlinson its cuz im a meanie today lol. Sorry about not including a link but that kit mark linked above is my go to ! Its awesome.

7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

And no worries on the frustration...we have all been there...or are still lol.

8. gruntybob

gruntybob New Member

Took a bit to get, but the board in is!

I haven't found much on it, so what firmware would I be flashing?

9. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

the firmware for whatever version robo 3D printer you have (there are: Beta, R1, R1+, C2) dont flash the C2 :D

reading back it looks like you are a beta owner, so you would need to flash the "beta" firmware on the robo site. Maybe @mark tomlinson has a link? I'm not versed in the Beta

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

11. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank you

12. VBUZZ

VBUZZ New Member

i dont know if you checked or not but my extruder started doing that and i found out it was one of the wires on the plug going to that servo had a short and was not sending the right signal

you might look to make sure