1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extruder Tension Screws Mod

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by Lee, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Lee

Lee Member

I found that the tension screws shipped with the printer are threaded for their entire length. Because of this, the washer riding against the spring will sometimes catch on the threads. So, when you push on the tension release in order to put new filament in, it can catch and it is possible to break the tab.

You could remove the threads in the area where the washer and spring ride. You could do this by simply filing down the threads in that area. I decided to make new screws. The OrigScrew image show the screw that ships with the printer. The new screw shows the threads removed and a knurled end to make it easier to tighten and loosen. The end of the screw has an indentation for an allen wrench.

The screws are 4mm x .7

Attached Files:

romero3d and Mike Kelly like this.
  2. danzca6

danzca6 Well-Known Member

Very well done @Lee. Looks like cheap insurance to make sure things slide properly. I may have to take a look at the hardware store for a couple of these to put on mine. I don't have the tools to make my own like you did. Thanks for sharing.