1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Extrudes and sticks to Extruder not bed.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Gary D, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gary D

Gary D New Member

This sample PLA material that came with the printer does not stick to the bed at all. instead when it extrudes is curls up and sticks to the extruder. I have had nothing to do but to cancel prints.

Whats going on here?

- Gary D.

2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Your initial z height is way too high you need to lower it use skirts in your prints as you can teel the aulity of the adhesion by what the skirt looks like it should be flattened and solid if it is not then stop re adjust and re print until it is

3. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Oh Boy Oh Boy... Day two and cant even print a 15mm test block. Did i mention i now have a major clog in the print head? Yup i followed the cleaning extruder video but the clog is at the very bottom of the shaft (with the sleeve taken out of course). Do i have to dismantle the entire print head? a Road block before i have even printed an object. This is not fun nor exciting.

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How did it clog?

5. Gary D

Gary D New Member

changing out the provided blue filament with the filament i bought. The new filament wouldn't feed through.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Was it cheap filament?

7. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Both from Robo3D

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's strange. You can't push filament through by hand? You'll probably need to remove the extruder if you can't.

9. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Ok Clog cleared. Back to square one. Printer is starting off just fine and printed material up to the 7th layer and then broke free from the bed... thus resulting in another cancelled print. Inspected the printed material and shows a little bit of bowing. Not sure if that contributed. will turning on the heated bed help with this? i am using PLA...

10. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It won't hurt.
    I have used a heated bed to stop or reduce warping. Normally for me PLA does not warp much (if any) ABS tends to be the one wanting to warp. But that totally depends on the shape of what you are printing.

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Your first layer is too high if it's not adhering past 7 layers. Try having the tip of the nozzle touching just barely on the glass and setting your first layer height to .3. If that doesn't work drop it down to .2 etc. What you're looking for is a layer that's the width of your nozzle tip and very flat.

12. Thor

Thor Member

I've gotten prints before (but it seems more luck than skill at this point), and the Luck seems to be if it wants to stick to the extruder rather than the bed. Would it help if i oiled / teflon sprayed the nozzle?

13. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

What are you using on your print bed? Hairspray on the boro glass has been working great for me. You shouldn't do anything to the nozzle tip except scrape off any plastic before the print starts.

14. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

No, like Mike says, the sticking to the extruder is almost always a Z axis too high.
    200 (or heck, even 300) microns is not a lot. That first layer (and all layers) should be really thin and flat.

15. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Your INITIAL HEIGHT is too high

IT is quite simple

IT is not your nozzle

IT is not your bed

Your INITIAL HEIGHT is too high

There are probably close to 100 posts about this same thing on this forum and the results was in most cases the INITIAL HEIGHT was too high

You may not understand why at this point and those are the questions you should be asking but research how other people have solved the issue on this forum and it will help you understand.

THINK about this way take a small piece of play-doh, set it on a piece of glass, tip the glass, what happens--it rolls right off( ie your print sliding around and coming loose from the bed) even if you heat up the glass a bit or put tape down or use hairspray it still rolls off because it is just sitting there

NOW take that same ball of play-doh and PRESS IT DOWN ONTO THE GLASS until it is flattened, then tip the glass; turn the glass upside down; heck you could probably even lightly shake the glass while it is upside down and it will most likely stick just fine. with in reason of course. That is because you PRESSED IT DOWN

Do the same with your filament by lowering the nozzle so the filament is pressed onto the glass.
    THE MAIN POINT is the print(like the play-doh ) needs to be PUT DOWN onto the glass instead of gently set there.

Think about it it makes sense

The question you should be asking is

"How do I know the filament is being pressed down the right amount or too much?"

I think you all now have experience of what happens when it is is not pressed down enough

16. Gary D

Gary D New Member

Fixed the problem. The side guides were jamming. added CLP gun lubricant to the guides and working as intended.

BTW... didnt have to adjust the Z height. the Z axis was merely getting stuck half way though the print forcing the print off the bed.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.