1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Failed Prints - Thermal?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by FlyMario, Apr 20, 2015.

1. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

So I have been having great prints from My RoBo3D. Lately though I can't seem to get anything to print correctly. I don't believe it is a problem with the printer however.

My printer is in my computer room which I do keep pretty cool at around 72°F. Since it has been getting warmer I have been opening my window or using my AC.

On my bed I have been using purple glue sticks from Elmer and they have worked great! I am afraid that maybe a draft is getting across the heating bed. Is that a common problem? Do people build enclosures around the unit to keep it warmer?

Is this overkill? Do you guys have any suggestions to keep the bottom of my prints stuck to the bed better? Become my Mentor! :)

Thanks,
    Flymario.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

-What material are you printing with?
    -What temperatures?
    -What symptoms do you have?
    -What printer? R1, Beta?

Temperatures are not usually the reason for a print to completely fail (unless wildly off) but they can make it look like hell.

3. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

Extruder Temp: 225°C
    Bed Temp: 80°C
    Material: ABS
    Printer: The most recent with the all metal head and the nicer spool that sits on the face.

Symptoms: The first traces releasing from the bed. Control Panel not showing any Fluctuating temperatures on the bed. One thing I tried to print. One thing I thought printed well, when I took it out of the printer it was warped on the bottom terribly.

I am trying to print out the back panel to this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:219362/#files Strange the front printed nicely.It is for the reprapdiscount LCD case.

Could humidity cause the problem? Its been raining all night.

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Humidity would not normally be an issue to that extent. It never has been for me and I live in a swamp (effectively, it IS Florida).

All I can suggest for ABS is print with the bed hotter and minimize drafts. Warping is sort of what ABS does (and more so with no heated chamber). Try using heat lamps directed at the print (this helped mine). Models with large thin and flat areas are the worst.

Perhaps consider something other than ABS if you can. There are really nice alternatives now (in other words, PLA is not the only choice).

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Without modification to the firmware I think 85 is the trip limit for the bed temperature.
    If you have no connector under the bed for the heater you can safely go a good bit hotter (I have gone to 105, others a bit hotter).

FlyMario likes this.
  6. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

Yeah 85°C is really not good either because the bed drop one degree below that and a viscious cycle happens. I might need to look at the arduino code and find where I can make it higher. The heat lamp idea is excellent, think I will pick on up on the way home.

Flymario

7. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

I mark it as solved for now. Thanks for you help Mark!

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Look for this (CONFIGURATION.H)

#define BED_MAXTEMP 85

Good luck.

FlyMario likes this.
  9. FlyMario

FlyMario Member

So, I set the MaxTemp to 100°C. Raised the bed temp to 95°C in Simplify3D and the Hot end to 235°C. I seem to be fine now. I did purchase a heat lamp and face it into the machine. Not sure if it is helping or not, but at least I don't hear popping of the plastic releasing.

Thanks a lot for your help. It is very interesting to me that none of my parts have had any issues other than this one.

I guess that is why we have notes all over the place of what to do. :)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

With ABS the part geometry and infill make a big difference as well. Glad it is working. It just takes more fiddling\experimenting with :)

11. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If you don't have one of the newer printers with ribbon cable for the bed heater you should remove the connector for the heated bed.