1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fancy full upgrade

Discussion in 'Mods and Upgrades' started by apwolf, Aug 14, 2015.

1. apwolf

apwolf Member

I really like the robo r1 for what it is, a cheap system that provides solid prints when it's set right. I use my personal one at work for funsies.
    So here is my plan:

Use equipment I have at my disposal to upgrade the system and make it better and learn on the way.
    I got the e3dv6 on order.

Printing some stuff on the objet right now too.
    2 fan ducts, a new x carriage, a link chain.

The little pieces under the y axis that hold the belt will be CNC machined from aluminum 6061.

I have built a whole enclosure out of acrylic to keep draft away and a stable temperature. I feel this helps a lot.

I will be tying in control equipment for fans, and other accessories. Including an lcd

Thinking of getting a cheap windows tablet running an Intel atom and running matter control or cura from it.

Install a webcam and have a constant upstream server to google hangouts.

On the side I am working with my team to develop a process for extruding our own filament, I have a post for that in the filament segment of this forum if you're interested.

I will share what I can, since this setup is at work it may be limited here and there but I'll do my best ;)

Any input appreciated!

Enjoy.

Current setup.
    [​IMG]

Carriage and new parts as printed with support and casing. This is how they come off the objet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

@apwolf Looking good so far. I agree it is a great "base" unit. Especially the models that have come out recently. As I understand they need next to no work to get up and running. I have on of the first units from the Kickstarter which I have personally done just about every mod to, a few of which were essential to get any decent reliability out of.

The E3D hot ends are amazing and provide some great printing options. I'm currently in the process of upgrading from a V6 to the Chimera for dual extrusion purpose.

Any reason you went with a full box enclosure like that compared to @Mike Kelly 's enclosure other than the simplicity?

Are you going to upgrade to the new lead screws?

3. apwolf

apwolf Member

Yes, I wanted the full enclosure to keep humidity out of the system and the spool. It also works as a dust shield. And a noise containment. It is in our office that I share with four other people and our office is sort of our shield from all the noise so I didn't want to hear the whale sounds. It works.

Not sure if I will upgrade the screws. Most of the stuff I print is rather small so ribbing is minimal. I am however on the lookout for some small reciprocating ball screws that I could possibly implant :D I'm sure I'll find some eventually.

Not sure if this material is the best for the carriage it seems a little too flexible. Was thinking of just machining a carriage from abs. That would be super stable light weight and strong. I may also be able to redesign it to a skeleton shape and machine it out of aluminum possibly mic6 for ultimate stability.

Does anyone have the led for the ramps that is sold by companies like e3d I believe. Does it help you? What are the advantages over using a computer for the same thing? Could I do better programming an Intel Edison myself and interfacing it?

Thanks

4. apwolf

apwolf Member

[​IMG]

Fan ducts with support still on. They are swimming in the lye bath right now..

5. apwolf

apwolf Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Also found a ton of empty or "broken" stratasys fdm material canisters that I took. What a find!! :D
    They are sealed all around, hold the spoils in them and have space for tons of silica to keep all material dry.
    I'm thinking I can dry all the stuff I have, package it with refreshed silica in the new containers, and then seal it in nitrogen filled hot bags ..
    Might be overkill but it won't hurt.

I said broken earlier here is what I mean:
    The stratasys boxes have microchips in them that can render the canister useless if they fail or measure use time incorrectly therefor telling the machine the canister is empty when it's not...
    So I have a ton of new abs :D

General update:

Cart for printer is under construction.
    E3d Print head has not arrived yet
    Testing different plastics tomorrow primarily acetal in our lab (have test printed this with good success but didn't get the desired crystal clarity I wanted - this is self extruded stuff)
    Researching humidity and temp sensors for the "cage" & storage rack in the cart
    Still debating on lcd vs windows tablet.
    Might just put a laptop mount on the cart

Questions please ask :)

#5 apwolf, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Mike Kelly likes this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Definitely the most expensive upgrades ever made for a Robo :)

Do you have the statasys dissolvable support bath? I really want to learn more about how that thing operates.

7. apwolf

apwolf Member

We just use lye it's essentially the same works better and easier to control the concentration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[​IMG]

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

9. apwolf

apwolf Member

Here is what we do,
    1 high pressure water jet all the support away
    2 soak in lye for an hour or so (no circulation)
    3 rewash with high pressure water
    4 dry

We've found it to be much faster.
    But I doubt that would be economical on a smaller budget ..

10. jbigler1986

jbigler1986 Active Member

How fast does the strat print?

11. apwolf

apwolf Member

Never fast enough lol
    It gets its efficiency when you fill the trays up completely. We have 5 of em. They are pretty good