1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament getting stuck in extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by davmad, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davmad

davmad Member

When I print long runs like 22 hours the print will eventually stop extruding and will go on like its printing but just print in mid air. 20150130_035609.jpg

Attached Files:

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Might also be about the tension on the hobbed bolt being too tight.

4. davmad

davmad Member

Ya I was looking at an oiler. I have a lot of retraction going on at the end of my print where it fails. My tension springs are about as loose as they can go is there anything I can do about that?

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

It was just a guess. An oiler would probably resolve it. Otherwise you'd need longer screws or weaker springs. Though it may not be necessary

6. davmad

davmad Member

Im going to try everything out and see what happens :) do I need 100% canola? also for a sponge does a kitchen one work?

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

pure canola, avacado, peanut, etc is best. Kitchen sponge would work fine, just some material that doesn't shed

2 people like this.
  8. BrianFraz

BrianFraz Member

I had MASSIVE problems with this when I first got my printer. I was about to add an oiler, but then my nozzle jammed up on me. So I ended up replacing it with an E3d nozzle, at the same time I readjusted the hot end cooling fan to try to pull heat out faster. Once I did that I haven't had problems with it jamming up since. I assume the fix was the cooling on the hot end, but who knows.

Edit: Forgot to mention I haven't started using an oiler up to this point. Not ruling it out though.

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The new nozzle could have a finish that is working better. I went for over a year on an original E3D nozzle, but I swapped one at some point and it started. Then the oiler was the only way to effectively stop it. Even a different nozzle didn't work.

10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

I find that a burr or "ash" junk in your hotend nozzle will do that to me... as will cheap gunky filament.
    I use a K file to clean my hotend. It removes burrs and has enough "grabbiness" to pull out any nearby junk. I was getting that ALL the time. cleaned my print head more often. I thought nozzles were only good for a couple prints before I broke out my K files. Speaking of which... need to order up a few more.

Of course, you break a file off in there.. its probably new nozzle time...

http://www.amazon.com/SybronEndo-Standard-Assorted-Stainless-K-Files/dp/B004V0ZGNG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1422674792&sr=8-2&keywords=k file

Same files they use in endodontics. If you've ever had a root canal...they used these to mash out the nerve.

11. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

Are the K files small enough to push up a .4mm nozzle

12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I wouldn't recommend cleaning the nozzle with stainless because it will scratch it and cause more issues. A brass bristle brush bristle is ideal

13. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

yes.. they're small enough to push through the root of your tooth. I understand mike's concern, and he is absolutely correct. It CAN gouge up, or enlarge your nozzle. But gently. push gently ill it stops, twist and remove. Does wonders for me. YMMV I also keep a dozen nozzles around and don't mess with them past doing the above. If that doesn't work.. swap out. But that rarely happens now-a-days.

When I see the filament extruding and reversing direction and clinging to the head rather than laying out in nice loops on the plate in a test extrusion. I poke it gently and it gets right. The drill bits people use.. Well, I've used them, I feel very similar problems could result. both materials are many times stronger than brass. My k files are quite a bit cheaper.

14. davmad

davmad Member

I think the quality of the filament is good im using colorfabb and makergeeks I tried abs and it jammed the same way. By the way abs is pretty stinky I like the texture of a finished print.

15. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Mow, everyone talks about oilers and such. I started using one... Didnt really help. I tracked all my clogging problems... Thus far anyway, to overextrusion. Especially on the first layer. If the nozzle is dragging over the previous layer, it prevents extrusion... Then cooks that pla to coal. I fine tuned my machine, stopped using the oiler, havent had a clog in about a month of near constant running.

16. Jokerk

Jokerk New Member

I've had a similar problem. The store had given me a roll with 3 mm filament, so a lot of pieces filament where on the wheel that pulls the filament in the extruder. When I got a good roll of filament, the wheel was still full of pieces filament (but hey, I had no idea) so it couldn't grab the filament and it just ate it away (making the problem even worse). After I cleaner the little wheel that is connected to the large gear, everything went fine. I'm guessing that you already checked it, but it could be one of the causes of your problem.

17. davmad

davmad Member

I appreciate everyone's imput I cleaned the hobbled bolt and I slowed down retraction speed and increased the distance before retraction occurs. I also loosened thr screws that hold my filament in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.