1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament in Canada

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by ssshake, Oct 23, 2014.

1. ssshake

ssshake Member

Just wanted to take a quit poll from fellow canadians on where they get their filament. I really like the robo3d pla because it's opaque instead of translucent. But it's really had to tell which is which online as it's usually not stated and when I ask it's most often translucent.

So can someone tell me where a good spot it to get filament shipped to canada for opaque PLA?

I can't order from robo3d because the shipping is cost prohibitive. For $100 worth of plastic I'm looking at another $100 to ship.

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I found a store called Sayal. It's a bit expensive but handy when you can't get from someplace else.

I also get
    Some from a Toronto based company called Mixshop. Problem is that they usually sold out of the typical colours like white, black, and some colours like orange and red which print really nice.

I have yet to find exotic materials. Can't find any wood or the new types with metal in it.

I did find one online place called Voxelfactory from Montreal. They seem to be expensive compared to the other online that are almost half price.

Typical price for filament in Canada seems to be $45-50 a roll

Mixshop sells theirs for $36

Sayal has half the weight and sell for 16-20 a roll. At least they have glow in the dark green which sells for 25 a roll.

Still trying to find a walk in store like Sayal that sells filament but in the 1 kg rolls. Hard to find. Either they are not advertising or are selling something else and i'd have to find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in Canada

4. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

voxelfactory.com is great. They are in Montreal and also work with a few regional walk in shops throughout Canada.

5. Thundersticks

Thundersticks New Member

I have had good luck with PLA from seacans.com, just got a message that they have upped the quality control on their filaments after a few QC concerns from customers.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk HD

6. Peter Krska

I tried botfeeder. From Richmond Hill are in Ontario

I found their spools have more filament on them than any other source. It could be just my imagination, but I've been printing for more than usual and it's still got lots on the spool.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415635222.253894.jpg

7. JayT

JayT Member

I go with Ord Solutions. They are an Ontario based company and they have PLA and ABS for under $25 CAD a kilo.
    The quality is as good as anything else out there and they ship fast.

They also have T-glase and Nylon for $46 and they sell their own liquid cooled multi-struder printers (up to 5 materials simultaneously).

The only down side is they seem to run out of stock fast, so I have been reluctant to share; but I want them to have good business and this community has always been happy to lend a hand.

2 people like this.
  8. Peter Krska

I am trying to find wood and other type materials in Ontario, but all I did find was PLA or ABS

And i always seem to get the out of stock on all the colours I want. Hmmm....

9. ssshake

ssshake Member

yes I know ORD they are located in the same city as me. My only issue with them is all of their colour PLA is translucent.

Here's what I've learned and my picks:

seacans.com has dirt cheap filament ($22) and they have $15 flat rate shipping, they also do cheap shipping to the US. They also have only translucent PLA but their black, white and grey pla is opaque. They've told me they will likely ship opaque colours in the new year. They also have some specialty filament. My only caveat with them is when I got their PLA I had to make some adjustments to get proper prints (reduced temp a bit, more top fill), but at this point I can't really blame it on the quality of their PLA because I'm not an expert yet and I've also had some issues slowly creep up with my print head, so it might just be a matter of timing. I printed a bunch of stuff this week in their white with no issues, but I should try another tricky print (bridging, arches, etc) and post back.

Seacans had very fast shipping, two or three days if I recall.

filaments4less.ca has some nice PLA, and their colours are opaque. It's $30 a KG and flat rate shipping of $20. They're located in toronto. Their shipping was a bit longer, a week. Which is weird because of how close they were to me (1 hour drive) it could have easily been next day. Anyway I really dig the colours and they have a large selection of specialty filament. The issues with them however are some stock issues, not all colours (no green or yellow pla) and their customer service is a little weak, they were unresponsive to some emails and they don't issue a shipping notice.

2 people like this.
  10. Peter Krska

I am looking for a walk in store. Sayal has some but theirs is half the size of anyone else at $15 to $25

No wood only ABS and PLA

11. ssshake

ssshake Member

What city are you in? Filaments4less does local pick up in toronto. What's your reason for walk in? Is it because you're impatient like me? If it would tide you over seacans shipped to me in a few business days.

12. Peter Krska

I'm in Toronto. And I I can tell by the look and feel of the filament whether it's what I like. I prefer to pay cash and not get dinged for shipping and taxes and border fees and more taxes and then there's the issue of warranty and damage... Shall I go on?

13. JayT

JayT Member

I've noticed that as well, but I either prime and paint my prints or I am making things where I don't really mind if the object is completely opaque or not.

14. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

15. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looks almost identical to Octave/Robo3d based on the spool. Probably the same supplier.

I've had good luck with either

16. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

I think my next order will go to them as they have black in stock. And I'm tired of light colours.

17. Peter Krska

You could always paint it.
    I also used black magic marker on skin colour PLA
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422326276.802005.jpg

Attached Files:

18. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Painting is not something I want to be doing to my prints.

19. k1e1v1i1n

k1e1v1i1n Active Member

Looks like a ok deal $18.00 flat rate shipping and $20 a kg.