1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

filament runout question(s)

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by DavidR, Mar 21, 2018.

1. DavidR

DavidR Member

This question applies to Robo filament spools specifically. The filament at the end of the spool is bent and plugged through a hole in the spool. When the filament runs out will the gear generally be strong enough to straighten the bent part and pull it off the spool and also through the filament senor panel (and possibly the beginning of theTeflon tube depending on where the sensor trips) without effecting the pressure in the nozzle or grinding the filament? So far I have always just manually removed and cut off the bent part when the spool starts to get low but this requires me to be present at that time.

Also, when the print pauses after tripping filament runout how long can it safely stay in that state? Could I go to bed knowing the filament will run out in the middle of the night and then replace the filament the next morning without disrupting the integrity of the print or damaging the printer?

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

Generally no it won't pull it off the spool. More likely it will just grind the filament and the print will fail because there will be no filament entering the hotend.

3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Can't speak to the first part. I don't use Robo filament.

That last part though is fine. It will sit waiting for the filament to be fixed before it carries on. The only down-side might be that it stays at temperature on the extruder. I am not certain that this is how it works, I can't remember the last time I had a run-out :) If it does stay at temperature that is a few watts wasted, but not a real problem.

4. DavidR

DavidR Member

@WheresWaldo Thanks for the feedback. Is there a procedure or workaround you have used to avoid this problem somehow? It kinds of defeats the purpose of having the runout sensor if you have to be there when it runs out anyways.

5. drbanks

drbanks Active Member

Using Hatchbox PLA, I generally see the end of the filament not separating from the spool about one time in three. I've had the thing run out after I've left for work and had it sit there waiting for me for a half a day. But, on one occasion, I was a little rough (or something) when I threaded the new spool and ended up ruining the print with a layer shift at the filament change.

6. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

I just make sure I have fuller spools on the printer if I am going to leave it printing unattended. The problem is that these spools are wound by machines. The end of the filament attached to the center of the spool has to be sturdy enough to withstand the machine rolling. As a result it usually does not let go of the center with the little force used by the extruder. The result is usually the filament stops moving but the print keeps going. Instead of feeding more filament the hobbed section will grind into the filament. Not all spools will suffer from this, but a fair number will and there is no way of telling this in advance.

The filament sensor is much more effective when the filament breaks.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I agree, other than buying brand-name filaments where I have never had them attached that way :) Not worth the expense when I am printing test/throw-away stuff though.