1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered Filament stuck all over extruder

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Sean Clifford, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Clifford

Sean Clifford New Member

Hi, I just got my RoBo 3D R1 a couple days ago and everything was working and I was getting great prints. Suddenly I couldn't get any print with out the plastic getting stuck to the print head and it dragging the object around the bed. I tried one more print and then this happened, help please?

IMG_0239.jpg IMG_0238.jpg

2. Jochem Timmermans

Jochem Timmermans New Member

Hi Sean,

Seems a lot like a problem I had yesterday. Extrusion leaked out all over the place. My hotend looked a lot like yours does on the pictures.

Found this video, on how to remove the hotend, no need for tech knowlegde just a good screwdriver and bit of patience.

Hope the video helps, good luck.

3. Jochem Timmermans

Jochem Timmermans New Member

Oh btw when removing filament of something. Always heat it up before you do so.
    Makes it easier to remove, and will prevent you from ripping something apart that shoudn't because it's stuck together.

Again hope this helps.

Good luck

4. lars-atx

lars-atx New Member

is that video for the current all metal Hex hotend, or the original hotend?

I am searching because my hotend isn't leaking, but is jammed I think and need to remove it. my understanding is removal is the same, but new hotend wont have ptfe tubing?

5. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Oh no, not this again. Seems new owners are having the same problem. It happened to me when (a) my heating block at the bottom of the hotend wasn't completely tight; (b) the heat sink fan died on me at some point without me knowing.

check out this thread for ideas/solutions:

http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/ind...med-inside-between-extruder-and-hot-end.3903/

(And maybe Robo should consider adding a step to the startup video telling people to preheat the hotend and make sure it is tightened before printing!)

2 people like this.
  6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Yup that's a bad leak. Go ahead and heat up the nozzle and try and pick out the oozed filament with a pair of tweezers.

Once you clear out the filament and can access the heat break grab the 4.5mm wrench that came with your printer and put it on the flats

Unscrew the nozzle with a 7mm wrench and completely remove it, Remove any plastic inside the hexagon and on top of the nozzle. Then screw back in the nozzle so it's metal on metal. Heat everything back up and tighten down the nozzle to the heat break being sure not to put any stress on the delicate heat break.

Here's an assembly video that briefly shows how to tighten it

7. Sean Clifford

Sean Clifford New Member

Wow, thanks for all the help. I have removed all the filament by the time I'm reading this. I will try what you guys have recommended and get back to you as soon as possible. Thanks!

#7 Sean Clifford, Dec 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2014
  8. Sean Clifford

Sean Clifford New Member

When I was taking the plastic off the hotend, the thermistor came off. What do I do?

9. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Put it back in the hole it came out of (carefully) it is fragile.

I am not sure on the Hexagon how it is mounted, the J-Head and E3D use Kapton tape wrapped around the heater block, but I think the hexagon might use the rubber boot...

Someone with a factory Hexagon can probably answer that.

10. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

The hexagon is mounted in the machine the same way as the j-head, I believe (slideup inside, secure with 2 screws -- you need a small power driver, don't try to do it by hand)

as for the thermistor, the little glass bulb slides into the small hole adjacent to the heating cartridge on the heat block, and then is secured in place by slipping the black rubber boot over it. (Or you can use kapton tape if you have it) Note: if you use the rubber boot, the order to do things is: 1) put in thermistor; 2) slide on boot (make sure hole for heating cartridge is aligned properly); 3) insert heating cartridge through hole and secure in place with the small screw

2 people like this.
  11. Sean Clifford

Sean Clifford New Member

Ok thanks for the help, Im going to do all of this now and hopefully I can get it printing again.

12. celtic eagle

celtic eagle New Member

The reason that the plastic maybe building up on the nozzle tip is because the part comes loose from the table and travels with the nozzle then the new plastic coming out of the nozzle build up on the nozzle tip. You need to have a better holding material not all hair sprays work. The best I have found is Aqua Net , Extra super hold with the pink label. It works very well and holding the part on the table.

13. mediaguru

mediaguru Member

Possibly... that's the first thing I thought was happening with mine, because little wisps/strings would fly up and melt onto the nozzle. But I was getting good adhesion to the glass (this has been the case with both gluestick and hairspray -- and I don't use the extra hold Aqua Net people suggest) But no, sadly it kept continuing even after cleaning the nozzle, and I found out that it was (like many other people have discovered) actually a leak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.