1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Filament supply

Discussion in 'Printing Filament' started by Technidyne, Jul 18, 2014.

1. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Guys / Gals
    Hope I'm on the right track with all of this, no experience at all in 3D printing but experienced in Industrial Machine Control and CNC.
    I am preparing for the arrival of my Robo 3D printer, want to start off with PLA and hopefully rapidly progress to ABS and then on to more exotic stuff as experience is gained.
    Looking for sources of 1kg spools of PLA filament (immediately, I want to stock four basic colors White, Black, Red, Blue) and considering the following and would like your comments on useability in the Robo 3D, supplier lead-time and really any helpful comments relating to this topic would be appreciated:

a. Printed Solid - I bought a RepRapDiscount Smart Controller from them and their response time (communication and shipping) was phenomenal - I like this company! - They don't seem to have all the colors I require presently though.

b. Robo 3D - Ordered one trial roll of blue from them today, so we'll see the response time - hope I don't have to wait weeks for it! ;)

c. RioRand from Amazon - price point seems great - have no idea as to quality and useability in the Robo 3D

d. Sain Smart from Amazon - price point seems great - have no idea as to quality and useability in the Robo 3D - I read somewhere someone used it in the Robo 3D, can't recall the stressfulness of the project.

BTW I also just bought this dehumidifier from Amazon as I intend to store my PLA / ABS stocks in a sealed Sterilite plastic chest http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H0XFCS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

#1 Technidyne, Jul 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2014
  2. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Take your time and learn everything you can about your printer using PLA then upgrade to an all metal hot end and probably bypass ABS and jump to the other types.

Abs can be more problematic than the other types so unless you have a real need for it there are others out that are similar in characteristics without the hassles associated with ABS

3. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I like:

1. ToyBuilderLabs - Has well priced HIPS, also stocks ABS and PLA
    2. Protoparadigm - Lots of color varieties in ABS and PLA
    3. E3D-Online - Lots of exotic materials, ships from UK

4. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Thanks guys, good feedback!:cool:

5. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

I visited the sites Mike recommended and will do an order with Protoparadigm for my PLA colors immediately I receive a tracking no. from Robo3D.
    Also will contact Matt at Printed Solid as the wood filament also interests me.
    Thanks for all the assistance and advice guys! .......surely will have tons more questions when the printer gets on my bench.

6. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Here is one that I like a lot have not had any issues with but have not got a lot of feedback from others the prices is really good except for Glow in the dark colors but 1.75 PLA is $26.40 per kilogram and they have a nice set of colors

http://www.hobbypartz.com/3dprfi.html

IF you try it please let me know

7. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Thanks for the props. I second Mike's recommendations for standard quality material. I believe that protoparadigm is american made. Toybuilders is chinese, however, he has some strict quality requirements and inspects the spools at import. They are rejected if they don't meet it. I Generally advise against unvouched for amazon sellers.

Regarding color supply. We are *hoping* to have all colors in stock within about 3 weeks :).

4 people like this.
  8. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Printed solids merchandise is always top rate I have bought many different things from him still need to test many of them out but I am sure they will all be good

9. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Got an email from team Robo3D yesterday with tracking number, so with the printer is out the door, I've ordered one spool of Blue PLA from Robo3d (don't know when they'll ship it) and I also ordered one spool each Red, Green and Natural from
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/3dprfi.html ......that should give me a good startup I think.
    Seems like everyone's out of Black and White PLA and basic colors.

10. TylerJones4292

TylerJones4292 New Member

I've used PLA from Robo3D, woodFill from Printed Solid (cool shop run by a cool guy), and right now I'm using PLA from Monoprice. It's pretty cheap and they have a decent color selection, but I'm not sure about the quality yet.

11. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

How fast does Robo3D ship filament?

12. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

I am very curious about how you like this filament so please let me know.

Thanks

13. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

It usually goes out very rapidly but they do have a lot on their plate so not too sure

14. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Ok Robo 3D shipped out my roll of PLA yesterday and so did Hobbypartz. Will let you know how it goes when I get to use it, although I have no experience in 3D printing so won't have any control reference.
    Printer is on it's way to my Florida forwarder so it should be in my hands come Monday, followed by the rolls of PLA around Wednesday next week. There's no duty or tax on computer equipment and peripherals coming here so let's hope customs classifies it as such.

15. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Been printing with PLA from http://www.hobbypartz.com/3dprfi.html and I really like the quality and price. I cannot discern any difference in characteristics between this stuff and the one Robo 3D sells. My PLA printing temperatures seem to have settled-in at 50*C on the Bed and 218*C at the Hotend. I am now using Canola oil as a light filament lube / seasoning medium and kinking/jamming has been tremendously reduced. I do have an aftermarket Hobbed Bolt on the way too. My print quality far surpasses anything I expected going in.

So here's a little experiment I did to compare print quality of the various PLA supplies as well as parts-fit right out of the printer. Parts fit was excellent, no sanding or filing required for a snug fit in all cases:
    Blue is Robo 3D Filament
    Red and Green is from HobbyPartz
    [​IMG]

#15 Technidyne, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2014
    3 people like this.
  16. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Thank You I have been waiting for a response about this filament and I am glad it works for you and the price is right.

17. RokleM

RokleM Member

Being a RC guy, Hobbypartz is known for either one two things. 1) absolute garbage not worth a penny and 2) good items at a great price.

It's a toss in the air as to what is what on their site. For example almost all their RC's are trash, no replacement parts, and are pretty much an expensive throwaway item. You save money buying a RC from there, but unlike a real brand, you're out of luck when you break it (which is 100% expected in the hobby). The GensAce batteries (if you get a good pack) are quite fantastic for the money.

Interesting to see how their 3d stuff is long term...

18. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

FWIW: I am now printing some parts in white Sain Smart PLA from Amazon. Prints very well, as good as the PLA from Robo 3D and HobbyPartz.
    I am using an in-line foam lubricator on the filament with Canola oil for all my prints.

19. Technidyne

Technidyne Active Member

Really nice PLA print at 210*C

[​IMG]

5 people like this.