1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved Filament Windings Are Driving Me Crazy

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by aznhlfan, May 22, 2016.

1. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

So I've tried Robo filament, a less expensive no name filament and ColorFabb. They all wind the filament so it tangles up and my printer has a hard time pulling it into the extruder, until I come in and manually spin the reel until it untangles. It tangles up and I have to run from the other room to untangle it about every 15-20 min. I am trying Hatchbox now to see if it does the same thing. It is very frustrating. Is anyone else having this problem, and have you found a good filament that doesn't do this all the time?

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I have had one filament spool out of a couple hundred that actually arrived pre-tangled. The end had gotten tucked under I suppose during spooling.

The other times I had issues with tangles it was me... accidentally getting the end of the filament tucked under while loading it. I pay a lot more attention to it now.

I haven't heard of any complaints on the ColorFabb... theirs is top-notch.

aznhlfan and Geof like this.
  3. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I found that I was actually causing a lot of my spool issues. Are these brand new rolls ever used? Stock spool holder?

Edit: mark you so fast lol

aznhlfan likes this.
  4. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

That is what Robo sent me after I complained about their filament, but it did the same.

sent from my Samsung Note 5 using Tapatalk

#4 aznhlfan, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
  5. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Brand new rolls, yes, the spool holders I printed so the spool is above and feeds straight down.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

It is very easy to end up with a tuck when you are loading and unloading. I am not saying you ARE the cause ... but make sure you are not. I have seen one that came that way, but it was a cheap off-brand. I actually caught myself doing it an have since been very careful about it. None of the brand spools I have used have had that.

aznhlfan likes this.
  7. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I printed a bunch of filament clips for when I change spools to keep me from tucking it under on accident. I have spools from hatchbox I have to unwind like 10 ft and re spool before prints (if you buy from Amazon fire sale merchant and send them a picture they will replace that roll). They actually let me keep my tangled ones which is why I'm doing the short hand re spool lol

I'm shocked a new roll from colorfabb is giving you grief!

aznhlfan and mark tomlinson like this.
  8. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Yes, I am almost finished with that roll, then switching to Hatchbox. I am as we speak printing a quick change mod. for the filaments, so I don't have to remove the screws Everytime I change colors or filament.

#8 aznhlfan, May 22, 2016
    Geof likes this.
  9. aznhlfan

aznhlfan Active Member

Not Matchbox, HATCHBOX (damn phone)

mark tomlinson likes this.
  10. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

I have found that Hatchbox and JustPLA while cheap are wound really poorly.. Its usually been fine until around the middle of the spool then i notice that its been wound on top of itself..so bad in some cases that I can't even pull it by hand to untangle it, and have to cut it. I have had the same deal with Robo's blue sample filament that comes with the machine. And it wasn't me messing it up, in some cases the main line was 3 spool winds deep in the tangle. Additionally if it had been me causing it it would have happend in the first while on a print not 10 hours into it.

I'm surprised you had an issue with colorfabb, that stuff looks like it was wound perfectly on the spool by an OCD robot. The one spool of colorfabb XT I have looks like its wound perfectly each wind matches up with the wind next to it..nothing overlaps. So thats weird you had a problem with it.

I have NEVER had this happen with colorfabb or esun filament.

#10 KTMDirtFace, May 22, 2016
  11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

I would be willing to bet that Colorfab would replace the spool

Geof likes this.
  12. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I has one section of a spool that measure 1.82... Couldn't run through my hexagon about 3 ft later it was good again. They offered to exchange it. Their good guys and gals and stand behind their product. Give them a shout

mark tomlinson likes this.
  13. KTMDirtFace

KTMDirtFace Well-Known Member

Had a similar deal with Esun, I had some of their flex filament that was 2.00! and wouldn't fit through my PTFE tube.
    I emailed their US Distributor forgot his name.. He just refunded me, said its cheaper to refund than deal with me sending the spool back for another one.

Geof likes this.
  14. Geof

Geof Volunteer Moderator
    Staff Member

I buy the cheap.stuff but only from amazon fire merchant. At least then if its jack i get a free spool and can spend an hour respooling the junk one lol

Most times the extra money is for a reason :)