1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Firmware adjustment for E3D V4

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Michael DiFilippo, Feb 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael DiFilippo

Michael DiFilippo Active Member

I just updated the firmware on my board to the newest one posted 2/6/14 and since then I have noticed the temp on my hot end jumps like crazy (for example it will be set to 250 it will go down to 230 then skyrocket to 245 then suddenly 260). All I can think is that the settings for the transistor is different compared to the original firmware. Anyone know which setting to use for the E3D V4 hot end?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

First, be sure you set your thermistor type to semitec 100k in the settings if it's not.

Second, you should run an autotune at 250C or 275 or so. http://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Using the command:
    M303 E0 S200 C8
    It should spit out some numbers once it done then you'll input that back into the firmware. This should help with your overshoot.

2 people like this.
  3. Michael DiFilippo

Thank Mike! I will check if it is the semitec and then try the autotune

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thermal grease around the thermistor. TRUST ME.
    I had some left from a motherboard build and it super-duper helped :)
    The temps are steady once at the demand point and behave more like you would expect...no more jumping around. Mine did the same thing before I had the Ah HAH! moment and added it.

5. Michael DiFilippo

I use high-temp gasket RTV Silicone so I don't think it is that. I'm about to finish a print and then try adjusting the firmware as Mike mentioned, I am 99% sure it is that as previous to the new firmware I was golden

2 people like this.
  6. Michael DiFilippo

Big thanks Mike! That did it. Now it hardly fluctuates and if it does it's .5 degrees.

2 people like this.
  7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Mind sharing your values?

8. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, not having set to the correct type in the firmware is an issue. For me that meant the readings were further off. It didn't address the fluctuations as much.

Glad you have it sorted.

9. Michael DiFilippo

Well strange. It seemed good for the first few uses but now is bouncing around again. I'm going to try running the autotune again, when I ran it it gave me MULTIPLE sets of values, almost like it ran, then continued to run another 4 times.

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

it'll output a set of value, then rerun the cycle using those values to pull new values, and repeat. Depending on the number of cycles you tell it. The above is set to 8.

You need to let it run all 8 cycles before pulling the value.

Also the above code is set to run at 200C. I heard of someone who ran their PID at like 250-260C and with those values had much better control at 200C. Might try that.

11. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

200 is correct. I was going to say: Average all of the values. PID Autotune is issuing varying current to the heating resistor and measuring the thermistor value. Cycling gives the device and the head time to cool down, come back up, etc - under different loads. But this firmware provides only one pass.

Proper PID settings even out the temp curve (in Repetier). It makes for a more even print.

12. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

The newest Marlin (3/14) has protections built in. I'm trying 190. (M303 E0 S190 C8)

EDIT: Not recommended but here is what I did: Change PID_Max to 140 - it slowed down the current to the head and allowed a full autotune to run.

13. SoLongSidekick

SoLongSidekick Active Member

So is changing the thermistor type something I really should do? I never did; not necessarily seeing any bad ranging effects but I'm wondering if I really should. Using the E3D thermistor.

14. JohnStack

JohnStack New Member

Actually, I used Ultimachine's 100K. It has a larger bulb but I always thought 100k is 100k... - but for some reason the protections kicked in. It read about 100K when I measured it before putting it into my set screw thingy and it read similar to the tiny 100k thermistors.

The E3D 100K thermistor (NDC brand) are the go-tos I think. Three printers, work great as long as they don't pull out - of course that goes for any of them!!!

Change? Nope, the tiny 100ks work just great. Not trying to fix what's broke here, they work. I was just forced to use the large bulb ones and they had different characteristics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.