1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved Firmware update for R1 to support 12864 LCD - Please help

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Cather, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Cather

Cather New Member

I am not having any success getting my 12864 LCD to work on my R1. I plug in the LCD and power up the printer, and it either lights up and does nothing else or, if I switch the cables, beeps and flashes.

I'm using the ROBO3DR1V3 firmware files. ( ROBO3DR1V3_06_11_2015.zip ), and I've commented out:

// #define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER //robo

and uncommented:

#define REPRAP_DISCOUNT_FULL_GRAPHIC_SMART_CONTROLLER

For my first attempt, I used Arduino 1.6.9 and the u8glib (1.18.1) from the source specified in Configuration.h. It compiled and uploaded successfully, but did not work for the LCD. (Printer still responds to commands from Matter Control, and my older, simpler LCD stopped working.)

Then I decided to use Arduino 1.6.12, and u8glib 1.19.1 as provided by the Arduino app itself. This required me to make some minor changes:

- replaced all instances of fpos_t with filepos_t
    - replaced references to utility/u8g.h with clib/u8g.h, as the new package keeps that file there.

Again, successful compile and upload, same results. When I restore the original Configuration.h and recompile/upload, my old LCD starts working again. (I believe the model number is 2004, and it's supported by the REPRAP_DISCOUNT_SMART_CONTROLLER line.) I've even changed the CUSTOM_MENDEL_NAME and WELCOME_MSG to verify that it works (and to be oh so cool).

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

A few things come to mind.

There was a period of time when some of the cheap Chinese LCDs had one of the cables reversed.
    OR​
    There may be a small potentiometer located either on the front under the LCD or the back of the LCD circuit board. take a plastic implement and turn it ever so slightly in both directions to see if the panel displays anything. There is usually a fine line between no display, a good display, and big white blocks instead of letters and numbers.
    OR​
    It might just be a defective board.

#2 WheresWaldo, Nov 8, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yes, there are a wide variety of styles since most are made cheaply in China :)
    Some do not have the contrast adjustment at all, others have it somewhere on the front and others somewhere on the back.

4. Cather

Cather New Member

Well, I've tried switching the cables, and the little knob accomplished nothing. The seller had me recompile with an ancient version of everything, and still no success. Looks like I'm sending this back.