1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First decent print looking for tips

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Rodriguez, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

I haven't used slic3r in a while, but I think you have to check the box for enable autocooling under filament --> cooling.
    You definitely want cooling on after the first layer when you're printing with PLA.

cold bed is fine for small PLA parts. You may find it is useful to heat it up a little (maybe 55-60) for larger parts.

2 people like this.
  2. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

If your using blue tape on you bed you don't heat it, run the fan at 100% except for the first layer. If your using hairspray heat the bed to between 55 and 65C, I heat to 65 but it depends on the hairspray I think, run the fan at 75 to 100% except for the first layer, i let Slic3r control the fan speed.

3. Chris Rodriguez

Chris Rodriguez New Member

Great tips guys. I wasn't too sure about the fan stuff. I will give those changes a try and see if they help.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea... PLA = parts fan on, ABS = nope.

5. Chris Rodriguez

Chris Rodriguez New Member

Just an update for others watching and maybe having issues. I could get lots of tiny prints working, but as soon as I went to a medium one it would get stringy and quit printing about 1/3 into them. I could get it going again good and then would clog again on next print that was tiny. Finally I hit a huge clog (had to cut the filament at the entrance as it would not pull out)that I couldn't clear even by heating the nozzle up to 235 degrees.

So I decided to bite the bullet and take it all apart and see what was going on. As mine was pre-owned I was prepared. There was tons of stuff in the nozzle and tubes. I tried putting in the oven to heat up hotter and try to push through with some filament, no go. I soaked in acetone thinking maybe the previous owner had got some ABS clogged. That did help some.

Finally I disassembled the whole hot end and removed the heater and thermistor then took a propane/MAPP torch to the nozzle. Wow did it make quick work of the clog. A little cool down and cleaned out the carbon and ash and it was looking good. I then took the time to season the nozzle, but since I had everything taken apart and didn't want to put it all together just to season, I took the metal portion and just seasoned then in the oven @400 degrees F for about 10 minutes, 3 times. After 3 prints still going well, one of those prints was an oiler that I hooked up. Also tightened the Y belt some, might still need more, by unscrewing the end clip and wrapping around another cog further down. Did help tension.

Just another note, I think my feeding issues were related to that and also the bearing that presses on the filament had a dead spot(where it would catch everytime) probably from someone over tightening the screws badly and scoring the race or just a bad cheap skate bearing. Replaced all the bearings with some ABEC-9 ones I had lying around for other projects and things are smooth as glass.

Things are humming now with clean seasoned nozzle and oiler. If things stay like this I will be very happy with the machine.

For those with tips on the sagging looks to be taken care of with new settings of slower feed and all now, 3 prints .3 fill and looking good.
    Thanks to everyone for tips and suggestions.

4 people like this.
  6. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

I am glad to see more success stories.
    It is a really good printer once you get it dial-in and going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.