1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First decent print looking for tips

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Chris Rodriguez, Nov 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Rodriguez

Chris Rodriguez New Member

I picked up a used Robo3d this weekend. After a few issues such as clogged hobbed bolt and couple other minor adjustments(and pitching the old original filament that came with it), I finally got a usable print. Still having some issue with extruder chewing up filament but will work on those.

It is PLA. I extruded at 185 first layer and 190 all others not bed heating. Layer height .4mm. Filament size 1.75mm. 100% infill. Most other params are defaults from Matter Control. Slic3r for slicing. Firmware is Robo3dR1autov1.

Just looking for any additional tips or setting I should adjust. I have read through a large number of posts in the forums but info seems spread out all over.

The print looks like of thread. I have seem others prints that look nice so just looking for setting that might help. The skirt and first layer looked nice but seems to get kind of bumpy as the layers build. Didn't seem to be much smoother than when I had set to 60% infill, either.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

20141117_153901.jpg 20141117_153913.jpg

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

If you have issues with PLA clogging, try an oiler.

3. Chris Rodriguez

I will look into the oiler. Thanks.

I am not sure if it as much clogging or having trouble turning the full spool of filament. From what I noticed the last few prints(after cleaning out the old crud that was there) if I manually keep the spool loose the filament it works fine, but once that is all used up and it tries to pull the spool around it seems to quit feeding. It is a full spool.

4. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

It should be able to pull it off of the spool for you, but you need to have a good, clear feed path and no tangles.

5. Galaxius

Galaxius Well-Known Member

Make sure the spool turns freely, a spool holder using bearings is ideal. Season the hotend and use an oiler. These couple of things will do wonders for you.

6. Chris Rodriguez

Yeah the spool on the stock spool holder itself is loose. It may also be the stock hobbed bolt has met his match. I am ordering a new one.

I like the idea of the spool holder with bearings, I was thinking that way myself. I will see if I can find a good example of one. I saw a couple designs but none had bearings, which like you I think would be better.

Thanks

7. Galaxius

I have a Design that works really well but have to make a few adjustments and do another test print of it before I put it on Thingiverse. I'll try make the adjustments and upload it as a work in progress today.

This is its current iteration and it works well but the bearing end cap is too tight. I have my spool top mounted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. Chris Rodriguez

oh that looks nice!!!

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Chris do you have the black spool holder that attaches to the back or the clear acrylic side one?

10. Chris Rodriguez

I have the black one that attaches to the back.

11. Galaxius

What's the stock black spool holder look like, pic?

12. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

On top of the oiler suggestion, print at a lower layer height. 0.4mm is the same as the diameter of the nozzle, so you're never going to get a good top surface. You need to compress the bead of plastic that you're laying down a little bit. 0.3 is pretty good for starters.

It also looks you might have some slightly loose belts.

The new stock spool holder is pretty decent. It has a good feedpath that doesn't drag too horribly on the filament. It's something that you could consider upgrading once you start getting pretty good prints and really want to tweak them, but it's not an absolute must do like it was with the old spool holder that mounted off of the side.

2 people like this.
  13. Galaxius

Just published the spool holder on Thingiverse. If you decide to use it let me know how it goes, especially if you use the Part2a end cap.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:550851

14. Chris Rodriguez

Good tip I will try that height also.

I think your right on the belts. The X(between the 2 columns of the machine) one is pretty tight, but the Y does seem a little loose. Does anyone know how to adjust the Y belts, they are kind of hidden beneath the bed.

Galaxius - Attached are pics of the new stock spool holder. 20141118_093537.jpg 20141118_093601.jpg

15. Chris Rodriguez

Great I will definitely try it once I get my prints looking a little better.

Thanks,
    Chris

16. Chris Rodriguez

Ok an update. I changed the layer height to .3mm as printed solid suggested. Attached are pics of my last print of the cube that comes with the Matter library. Looks much better in my opinion. I have the oiler and the new spool holder on my list once I get things working decent.

Would your more experienced Robo users consider this a good Medium quality print(it is only 60% fill)? I am just trying to see what are realistic expectations. The size is correct from what I can tell. I tightened the screw on the Y axis but belt is still a little loose. Need to figure out how to adjust that one 20141118_120604.jpg 20141118_120620.jpg

2 people like this.
  17. Galaxius

That's looking pretty good. For calibration cubes I print with between 12 and 20% fill and only 2 premiers/top/bottom layers, sometimes 3 for top.

That's also how I print a lot of actual objects too , though sometimes with 3 perimeters depending on how complex it is, but mechanical and load bearing objects are always printed stronger. Anyway, that's something for next week lol.

Sorry I'm not sure how to tighten the belt on the new bed.

18. Chris Rodriguez

Good deal!! I will try with the lower fill now. I had tried it earlier on(before changing many settings) it kind of drooped in the middle with 30%.

Anyway thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions. I put together a little document with the settings I am using, seeing as it sounds like many others have issues getting it all figured out also. Feel free to make any suggestions as to changes, just hope it helps someone else down the line. The documentation on this printer is so fragmented around I thought this might help.

Thanks,
    Chris

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  19. Printed Solid

Printed Solid Volunteer Admin
    Staff Member

Looking much better. If it's drooping a lot in the middle with 30% infill, then you need to get some heat out of that filament as it is laid down.
    Is your parts cooling fan running through the print? What temp do you have the bed at?

20. Chris Rodriguez

Well the drooping was a while back. I will try another one with the new settings now.

I don't think I have parts fan running not sure where that turns on from. The fan settings are kind of confusing all are set by default at 100%, which I don't think can be right, maybe I am overthinking that one though. I do not have the bed heater on for PLA, at least that is what I had read in some other posts and online.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.