1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Answered First few layers print fine, then everything is thrown off

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Avrution, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Avrution

Avrution Member

Yes, me again. I've been doing a few prints lately with most great success, but I've had two massive failures. This last one cost me 6 hours of time and most of what little blue filament I have left.

It seems the first few layers go down great, but then at some point everything gets shifted, yet the printer keeps going.

The red one I have made perfectly before and the blue was done after two other very long and complex prints finished just fine. I have marked on the blue where it should have lined up. Base adhesion is still good as they require using the scraper tool to remove.

Unfortunately, my camera is still too low right now to catch when the errors happen.

Attached Files:

2. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

There are a number of things that can cause this so start with the simplest one. Double check that there are no obstructions that can hinder the belt moving, even under the print bed. The double-check that all set screws are tight on the couplings and the ends of the belts. Make sure that the belts are tight enough, they should twang (technical term) a bit when flicked not thump.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  3. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You did not tell us which axis shifted (X or Y) and @WheresWaldo is spot-on that the Y axis (the bed) often has a cable that gets in the way and caught causing shifts. Sometimes it is the X when the cables get loose.

4. Avrution

Avrution Member

It seems to have shifted on the X axis. No cables are in the way and the print right after (Just one of the four feet) printed perfect.

Not sure if to chalk it up to bad luck or not. Will have a new camera and mount next week so next time everything will be caught on video.