1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First good print!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Pyro, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Invertmast

Invertmast Active Member

Just go ahead and order an E3D extruder or similar. The stock extruder on my Robo didnt even last through 4hra or printing before it started leaking. Luckily i already had an E3D on hand as it was a planned upgrade. Just the E3D v6 extruder made my prints come out 100 time better, it is by far the best upgrade i have found so far (my printer is not even a week old).

One thing i found with the stock extruder after i installed the E3D, was the black mount/heat sink wasnt completely screwed down tight with the heater block. I also noticed the threaded brass setscrew on the top of the extruder that holds the PTFE tube in place was very loose. BTW, my ptfe tube wasnt cracked and the extruder was leaking from the threadw of the aluminum piece and the plastic heatsink/mount body.

You could try tightening up the brass setscrew to see if that helps the PTFE tube to the aluminum heatbreak/block, and if that doesnt work, maybe try tightening the plastic bit all the way down to the heatblock and tightening the brass setscrew aftwerwards. If that doesnt work, E3D upgrade man! Personally, i would just do the E3D anyways and not fuss with the stock extruder.

2. Pyro

Pyro New Member

thanks for the suggestion I have just ordered the e3d v6 head as I finally got a reply and they want me to try some things before sending me a replacement.... but the printer is currently useless with all the leaking...

There goes my warranty but sounds well worth it!

3. Pyro

Pyro New Member

So i have finally got my e3d print head but have not yet installed it yet because i got the magic smoke come out of my printer again!! first it was the burnt connector but now its much more serious, after some investigation i found that on the shield one of the power regulators got so hot it actually fell off the board but not before it burnt out!

I soldered it back on but unfortunately the heated bed doesn't work again and the regulator gets really hot!

I have not contacted support about this latest problem but boy am i frustrated!

4. Pyro

Pyro New Member

so what fell off / overheated was the IRF3205 Mosfet from the Q3 position on the shield :(

5. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Check the resistance on the wiring from D8 or trace this back (bed heater wiring) to see if there is a short. IIRC Q3->D8 which powers the bed heater. Is this the new style bed and heater? If so have you gotten a wire fix for the heater connector issue or did you do your own?

6. Pyro

Pyro New Member

so i removed the whole board from the bottom of the printer and found that the wiring on the heated bed only had 1 single piece of copper connected, the others were just kind of hanging there like they had been cut before being installed, i stripped them and re-cabled it but still no heating on the bed.

I did my own fix on the printer bed cabling as i didn't want to wait... that looks to be all fine but the mosfet is dead :(

I ordered a new RAMPS 1.4 board and I'm hoping that it will fix the heated bed problem :(

I ordered a replacement from http://www.goodluckbuy.com/ramps-1-4-printer-controller-for-3d-printer-reprap-mendel-prusa.html for 14USD

I really hope this resolves my problems as I have had issue after issue :( and want to install my e3d print head...

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

That should solve it (at least the bed heating issue).
    Just pay close attention to landing the connections on the RAMPS board and you should be fine.

8. Pyro

Pyro New Member

so I got my replacement and it fixed the problem... as soon as I connected the bed... the same thing happened on the new RAMPS board!!!

So something is wrong again with my heated bed... sigh I should have ordered 2 of the RAMPS boards...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.