1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 1nxtmonster, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

There is one other thing I adjusted. Someone (sorry--can't remember who to credit) figured out that the nozzles are often not extruding exactly as planned.... So I adjusted the extrusion rate to account for the (20% on my main nozzle) over-extrusion that the nozzle was doing. This cleaned things up a lot.

Basically you need to mark the filament, do a manual test extrude for a certain amount and then measure what you really got... There is a more detailed explanation in the thread. If you can't find it I can look it up.

2. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

Thanks. I'll try the extrusion test sometime. What I've been doing is going through and changing one setting at a time to find what the ideal value is and then moving on to the next. I have a big table full of papers with settings and test prints on them. Hopefully this systematic approach will yield a good value sometime soon :(

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, that sounds like the right way to tackle it.
    Good luck.

4. 1nxtmonster

Here's a picture of my main first layer problem:

20141115_155120.jpg

Any ideas?

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

A bit of over-extrusion there I would guess. The perimeter/skirts layers look good.

6. 1nxtmonster

To fix over extrusion I would lower the extrusion rate/speed?

7. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

As a quick test lower the extrusion rate.
    There are more permanent way to do this (like firmware modification) but adjusting the extrusion rate is easy (and if you change nozzles you can easily adjust it if they are different).

8. 1nxtmonster

Any idea how to do this in matter control?

9. 1nxtmonster

Nevermind, found it in a setting called "extrusion multiplier". What percentage would you recommend I scale it down my? 20%

10. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

oh, sorry... nope. Repetier host actually has that as a setting in Slic3r (so does Simplify3D). I don't even have the recent version of MC installed and it has been 1 yr+ since I even ran it.

edit: I would start in 10% increments and fine tune as needed (doing test prints--first layer is all you need to test)

11. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You should not be seeing those 'blobs' or lumps in the first layer (you don't see them in the skirt--which is good).

12. 1nxtmonster

Here's the first layer at 80% - it looks a lot better than before. I think I'll try 75% extrusion next.

20141115_161751.jpg

2 people like this.
  13. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Already you are starting to look a lot more like the @tesseract demo print :)

14. 1nxtmonster

Here's a picture of the near finished 1st layer:
    20141115_162249.jpg

Thank you for your help!

15. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That looks much better ! :) I'd say you are pretty close to where you need to be. I would imagine you can go for a full print soon and probably get great results.

In the one extruder nozzle I had it turned out after measuring that it was not correctly sized (it was supposed to be a 0.4 and was much closer to 0.5). This is what led to the significant over-extrusion with that one. I had it resized to 0.5 and at that setting it was working much better.

So just remember if you do swap nozzles you will want to go through this again (the testing).

16. 1nxtmonster

Thank you once again for your help. All of these first layers were the first layer for a phone case, as this layer looks good I'll let it run and post a picture of the case when (or if) it finishes.

2 people like this.
  17. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Good luck. Most of the time (over 90%) if the first few layers go down right you are golden.
    Every once in a while you find slicer issues that trash a model mid-print (with stupid toolpaths or something) or you get a feed-glitch in your filament.

18. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

I use Aquanet hairspray and it works great for PLA and ABS. Spray on a room temp bed with a cardboard shirt box top as a mask then heat to 60C to dry, Print PLA at 50 or so and ABS as at 112C or as hot as the bed goes. If I need a glass smooth bottom surface I clean with ethyl (denatured) alcohol or water before spraying. Otherwise I just spray a light coat over the old one or just reuse the bed a few times.

Also see this thread: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/hairspray-survey.1532/

3 people like this.
  19. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yup, I ran the hairspray with PLA last night and it worked just as good as with the ABS. It also worked fine with PET...
    I have recently run the gamut of materials since tossing the blue tape.

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

For hairspray I found that it is important to spray it on a room temp bed. If the bed is hot it will dry immediately without spreading out and will leave an uneven coverage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.