1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Impressions

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by 1nxtmonster, Nov 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Yea, that I assumed was the case. I don't have to re-do it after every print either.
    Also, while it seems to grip well hot, as soon as it cools down it releases.

2. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

You might find that there is a bit of a tradeoff with reducing the extrusion multiplier and reducing first layer height. Lowering the extrusion multiplier too much can give you incomplete coverage on top horizontal surfaces. Your first layers look pretty good but they may be a bit too low (squished). If you make Ziggy's suggested firmware changes to enable Babystepping you can easily tweak that first layer while it is printing. See this thread: http://forums.robo3dprinter.com/index.php?threads/z-axis-marlin-baby-stepping.2755/

3. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

Speed -- 3000 mm/min
    Really?

4. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If I am reading that correctly :)

(and I think that is slower than the robo can really do, but it is a good trade-off for quality)

Attached Files:

5. 1nxtmonster

1nxtmonster Active Member

Well, the phone case turned out quite well. The only printer error was that the support material fused to the case, ruining the case when I removed the support material. I am reprinting now with the support material settings changed so that it will only support the button holes rather than the whole perimeter.

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That was a common thing before I swapped over to Simplify. I was having better luck then just avoiding supports at all.
    You can do really long bridging if you get the speed right.

7. 1nxtmonster

What method would you recommend for removing support material?

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you need supports... I mean really need them to work, use different software.
    With Simplify they simply peel away and you can hardly tell where they were.

I am sure that there is a way to setup the others to work, I just never found it.
    Skienforge for example (which you can use from Repetier host instead of Slic3r) has so many settings to adjust I am positive if you knew what to do you could make it work. I, could not.

Try another one of the free ones first and see if they have gotten it working (Cura maybe... theirs were unusable, maybe they got better).

9. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

If this was the typical iPhone with simple oval or rectangular holes in the side case you really should not need any support material. The printer should bridge these just fine. You should be able to cleanly bridge 1.5 inches at least. If there is any dip in the hole where it would be printing in the middle of the air then of course you will need support.

2 people like this.
  10. 1nxtmonster

The second print of the case turned out really well. I used support material but set the minimum overhang setting to 75 degrees so that it only does support on the area that actually might need it. Infill was 50%. I didn't do any cleaning up (other than removing support material) before taking the picture.
    2014-11-17 21.17.34.png

3 people like this.
  11. 1nxtmonster

Also I used hairspray on the bed before the print, it stuck wonderfully and came off practically by itself once the bed cooled.

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

That is how it should be :)

Congratulations.

13. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

With hairspray once in a while a print can be difficult to remove. To help release it when this happens just dribble some water drops around the edges and wait for it to soak in.

14. tesseract

tesseract Moderator
    Staff Member

Love that first layer I hope the print completes the only issue I could imagine was a filament failure of some type good luck with it

15. 1nxtmonster

Thanks everyone for your help in getting my printer up and running :)

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.