1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

First Layer Printing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Robert Choban, Nov 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Choban

Robert Choban Active Member

I have the Robo R1 with the enclose bottom, I have the Hexagon hot end, I am using the latest version of MatterControl and using Matterslicer. I am using 0.0 for the Z-axis offset, this seem to work the best, if I go to a larger number the print gets worst. I have recalibrated a number of times and thing I am as close as I'm going to get. The other setting are whatever came with the latest version of MatterControl. I have uploaded some picture and would appreciate if someone would take a look and give me there opinion. I have Repetier Host on my PC but have not configured it for the Robo yet.

Attached Files:

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Looking at the skirt it appeaers your first layers is just a tiny bit too high. The lines aren't merging together as they should.

www.printedsolid.com/firstlayer/ A good visual guide on the proper first layer.

In mattercontrol, you do not want to use the Z-offset. You want to use the Automatic Printer Leveling for determining your offset.

I suggest removing .1mm from the calibrated values and trying again. Under the configuration tab click the hammer and wrench to bring up the values it calculated:
    APL Settings.PNG

2 people like this.
  3. Robert Choban

please disregard my other post, this is really detail, thanks

2 people like this.
  4. Robert Choban

Mike
    The current values it's using to calculate are below: When you say " I suggest removing .1mm from the calibrated values" do want all values changed or just the Z, so would reducing the Z go from 1.84 to 1.74, 1.22 to 1.12 and 2.04 goes to 1.94 ????

Postion 1 X 114 Y 228.6 Z 1.84
    Postion 2 X 22.8 Y 25.4 Z 1.22
    Postion 3 X 205.2 Y 25.4 Z 2.04

5. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

exactly. Then it will keep the same "Plane" but will be lower by half a layer.

6. Robert Choban

Can you explain what the position 1,2,3 mean and what the numbers refer to.

7. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

The three points (in X, Y, Z space) that it sampled for auto-leveling I bet.

8. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Correct Mark.

The X and Y coordinates are where the Z sample is being taken.

9. Robert Choban

Still having problems with my first layer. I have attached some photos of the problem. I have gone thru the bed calibration a number of time, trying to get the hot end as close to the bed as possible. I have changed the number as Mike suggested above, it does move the hot end closer to the bed, but I'm still have a problem. To me it looks like the when I'm printing, the bed is not level. In the photos it looks like the hot end is higher on the right side of the bed than the left. Not sure how to adjust for this, other then doing the bed calibration in the configuration setup.
    I'm using MatterControl/Matterslicer, hexagon hot end, I have the newer enclosed bottom Robo printer.

These are the numbers I used for this print, as you can see they are different from the numbers above, This numbers bring the hot end really close to the bed.
    Postion 1 X 114 Y 228.6 Z 1.5
    Postion 2 X 22.8 Y 25.4 Z 0.94
    Postion 3 X 205.2 Y 25.4 Z 1.65

This my start up Gcode:.
    G28 ; home all axes
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift nozzle
    M109 S[temperature] ; set the extruder temp and wait
    G28 Z0 ; Home Z again in case there was filament on nozzle
    M565 Z0
    G29 ; probe the bed

Attached Files:

10. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

The bed levelness is compensated for with the autolevel values. You need to keep repeating the configuration until it has the correct values for your printer.

11. Robert Choban

I understand what you are saying, but I have done the recalculation a number of times, with the same results, one side of the bed seems to be higher than the other side. When it does the bed calulation it checks 3 spots on the bed, back center of the bed, front left and right side of the bed. I'm trying to figure out what numbers to change to make one side lower and keep the other side the same. Checking only 3 spots on the bed makes this a little more difficult. Could the plate be warped or something I'm not seeing

#11 Robert Choban, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2014
  12. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Unlikely. Probably just a bad value. You should upgrade to the latest version of matter control which uses 9 point sensing.

13. Robert Choban

Mike, I maybe confusing you with the above explanation of what is happening.

When you go into MatterControl and do the configuration setup shown below, you can only check and adjust 3 points, back middle, front left, and front right. Then after you start a print job it does the nine point check. Not sure how these 2 checks work together?

I'm using the latest software from MatterControl, version 2.0, just came out, but this problem was also happening under version 1.1.7

For the below configuration you suggested " removing .1mm from the calibrated values and trying again. Under the configuration tab click the hammer and wrench to bring up the values it calculated: "
    [​IMG]

I have run the above configure a number of times and have adjusted the numbers like you suggested above, and it does move the head closer to the bed, but from what I can see from the pictures posted above, the hot end looks like it is lower on one side of the bed than the other side when printing.
    I'm not sure when you are using only 3 point to set, how you get the printing to be level all the way around.
    I would think that the nine point check would make some compensation for how level the print is going to be, but this does not seem to be the case in the way the prints are coming out.
    I can't print anything because of this problem, so close, yet so far to go, very frustrating.

14. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  15. Robert Choban

Steve thanks for the response. I will read what Ziggy has to say, but after about 4 hours of working with the configuration paramaters that Mike Kelly talks about in a post #2, I have my first layer looking much better. It was a LOT of work and very time consuming. It seems like the initial configuration set up where you use paper to calibrate the 3 points on the bed does not come close to where the Hot end needs to be in relation to the bed.

Mike Kelly, thanks for you help also, I guess these printers are going to need a lot more work that I thought.

Now I'm having a problem with my prints being very stringy, reduced the hot end temp from 210 to 205, thinking that may help, but it did not help. Any thought on this work be appreciated.

I'm also having a problem when I do a home command for my Y axis, I get a grinding noise when it moves the bed all the way to the front to find the Home point. This just started after I removed the bed to look at the cables that the Y axis uses. I looked to see if any cables are getting in the way, but everything looks OK. Any idea what I may have messed up???

16. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Go lower (assuming this is PLA). I have (at least one spool) that is best at 195.
    There is no one magic number for a given filament type, mostly a spool will be consistent...
    Try 200 then 195.

You need to be doing a (small) test/calibration model for dialing this stuff in. Less time to print :)

17. Robert Choban

Mark, I'll try lowering the temp again and let you know how it goes.
    Any idea about my Y axis grinding problem

18. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Yes, but it is going to be tough to describe. Under the bed (in the middle) the Y belt runs through some pulleys/capstans and around the shaft of the drive stepper motor itself.

Take the bed off of the rails and look at that arrangement. Watch the belt on the center capstans as you slide the bed rails back-and-forth. It should stay pretty much in the center of the track on those capstans. If it is moving up or down as the Y axis travels they you have a problem.

The problem is that the gear drive on the motor shaft is too high or too low. Mine came too low and it would make the belt bind at the ends of the travel. I had to remove it from the motor shaft and align it slightly (ever so slightly) higher. Then I used loctite on it. Now when moving the Y axis the belt stays nicely in the center of the travel area.

The other possibility is that a wire bundle is getting in the way of the Y travel and causing the bed to bind. I had to use Zipties and anchors to arrange some of the wiring to allow the cable bundle to slide back-and-forth easier.

19. Robert Choban

Mark, I think my problem is with how wire bundle is getting in the way of the Y travel, do have sme pictures of how you have used zip ties to secure these wires.

20. SteveC

SteveC Well-Known Member

Hi Robert,
    How about a guide like this: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:525085 . I have printed it but have not installed it yet.
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.