1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Solved First Layer | Under Extrusion?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Hazrd, May 14, 2016.

1. Hazrd

Hazrd Member

Hot end: e3d v6
    Filament: HATCHETBOX 1.75mm WHITE ABS
    TEMP: 235c
    BED: 70c

COOLING: No fan, I'm trying to print a fan shroud to fix this.

SLIC3R SETTINGS:
    Layer Height: .2MM
    First Layer Height: .35mm
    Extrusion multiplier: 1
    First Layer Extruder Temp: 235c
    First Layer Bed Temp: 70c​

Z OFFSET: 1.05 (Was .94)
    ESTEPS/MM: 908.0 (was 723.3)

Start G-Code:
    G1 Z5 F5000 ; lift Z by 5mm
    G28 ; home all axes
    M565 Z-1.0; set the offset for auto-leveling mechanism
    G29 ; run auto-level
    M300 S440 P200 ;A4: 440
    G0 Z5​

Slicer:
    Happens with Slic3r and Cura
    SD card or USB cable, same issue.

History
    I was having a problem with under extrusion, so I calibrated the extruder steps. This resulted in me moving the ESTEPS to 908. I had a little over extrusion but it was good enough to print some parts I need for the printer.

I printed a moderately successful calibration cube. It was structurally sound and the right height even with over extrusion.​

Problem
    I started printing one of the replacement parts and I started getting a first layer like the image below. This filament is white, not transparent, and there is almost no material being put down. Filament is also getting chewed up​

The four prints I tried that had a first layer like had chewed up filament.​

Troubleshooting
    I thought maybe the print head was too close to the bed, so I calibrated the Z-Axis offset again and got (1.05).
    I tried loosening the screws pressing the filament against the hobbed bolt but that didn't help.
    Even without removing the chewed up filament repetier will manually extrude if I ask it to.
    What else can I try?

[​IMG]

2. Hazrd

Hazrd Member

I tried setting the Z Offset again

Reinstalled the firmware in this post:
    http://community.robo3d.com/index.p...ormation-installation-guides-and-review.3407/

Tried slowing down the print speed, increasing and reducing flow rates, and changing tightness on the bolts that hold the filament against the hobbed bolt.

I think the Z Offset maybe isn't being applied, the extruder is very close to the bed.
    I update it in the slicer, on the XXL LCD Screen, and update it in the starting G-Code. Is there another place where that is set that might be overwriting my other settings?

3. Hazrd

Hazrd Member

Turns out the Z axis offset wasn't actually being set. Fixed it and now its off the print bed and laying filament again.

Sadly its going to need fine tuning still but at least that is resolved

mark tomlinson likes this.