1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unresolved First Layer

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Arbi, Feb 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arbi

Arbi Member

Ok there is this thing that really bothers me sometimes and i want to understand why it is happening. Is it a slicer issue with some models or its the printer ?

So sometimes when i start to print the 1st layer when its building i can see the nice filament being built in the surface of the bed and by the time it reaches to 2nd layer you can see the nice completed foundation, but sometimes the first layer doest build anything , all it does it moves in the surface with a slight marks of touch and then in 2nd and 3rd layer i can start seeing the filament. why ???? i do not change anything !!!! and sometimes goes this way and sometimes the other ...i prefer when it starts building in first layer

2. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Edit your title... " thread tools" top right... Theyre all questions... Think about the children.

Probably z offset or first layer is too low and its dragging till it gets off the glass... But. It could also be the z carriage being crooked. Ensure the 2 sides are the same height or you could be getting bad auto leveling.

3. Arbi

Arbi Member

i did change the title, thanks for that.

it is not the setting or the z axis, if it is why every time its coming out or acting differently ?

4. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

Because ... Different surface preparation, poor auto leveling? Check that both your switches are contacting at the same time.

When youre too low, some materials can push the head up and glide.. Some jam.

It could also be your extruder drive... Slipping? Dirty bolt? Is it starting on the glass or above it?

Sounds like the extrusion is being blocked is why i say height.

5. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

You are printing a skirt right?

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

How are you defining the Z offset? Do you use automatic print leveling utility in MC?

If you put a piece of paper under the extruder, can you slide it back and forth without it changing height.

7. Arbi

Arbi Member

skirt ? i don't understand

8. Arbi

Arbi Member

i actually use repetitor and it is doing a much better job and less failure, and when it starts printing i can not put a paper to test that, but i see that it is very close to the surface, that i would say its almost touching it, so sometimes when it starts i get a nice 1st later and sometimes just leaving a mark, yes looks like the z axis is sometimes way too low that is why it cant push lot of material , but i just dont understand why it is doing it randomly since i do not change anything, so it makes me think slicer is not doing a good job when slicing i am using slic3r with repetitor and 90% of the times i am much happier compare to the original software , at least this is way more reliable

9. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

Do the paper leveling when the print is not running. Ensuring your x axis is level against the bed will make your autolevel more reliable

10. Ben R

Ben R Active Member

A loop or two around the print as.. More or less a runout test. Make sure youre printing before it hits model

11. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.