1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Unanswered First print job: Anyone guess what went wrong?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Ozzie Alarcon

Ozzie Alarcon Member

Okay, so my 3D R1 arrived today. I already watched a ton of YouTube videos of the do's and dont's with this printer so I was feeling confident with my new printer. I wanted to print a spool holder that I found on Thingiverse so I figured that'd be a good first print job.

So I installed MatterControl on my MacBook and everything setup just fine. I loaded the file from the spool holder. It's pretty basic as you can see in the picture below. Basically I just put one beside the other and I began to print. I immediately noticed the one on the left was printing differently even though both holders were the same. I figured the machine was printing like that for a reason so I just let it print.

We went out for dinner and I came back to a freaking mess. The left side was all messed up and there was filament all straggled all over the left side. The right side was still printing normally. I decided to abort the print job even though the one on the right was like 90% finished. I had to do this because the print nozzle was still thinking it was printing the left one at the same height as the right one. That's how the filament mess started. The hole on the right one was something I did afterwords. Pay no attention to that.

Any ideas on what went wrong? I've read that MatterControl pretty much stinks but surely I should be able to print multiple pieces on one print job, can't I?

image.jpg

Two hours later and here's version 2. This is what it's suppose to look like. I decided to only print one piece to see what would happen.

image.jpg

image.jpg

#1 Ozzie Alarcon, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

Matter Control stinks*. Try another program.

*can't say too little about it

3. Frankn

Frankn Member

I have added multiple parts using the edit in matter control with no problem, but you have to realize. If one print fails, they all fail.
    I am using Matter 1.3 version.Yes matter is an inexpensive alternative to the good stuff, but with my knowledge of programming, I doubt I could successfully change it. Frank

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

If the print was still in the correct spot and didn't come unstuck then that's pretty weird

Frankn likes this.