1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

fitting large object

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Racegrafix, Jan 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

I have a file that fits in the box in slicer fine, but when it slices, the ring it adds around the base wont fit. Its very close to fitting, is there any way to move it in closer?

2. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

That's your skirt. Default it's 5mm away you could make it less to fit in or disable it.

3. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

any reason not to disable it?

4. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Volunteer

I use it to verify my first layer will be the right height I want. Also gives me a chance to tweak my z height by twisting the nobs slightly without it locking the motors to move them. I wouldn't advise this if you don't know what you're doing.

I also like it because the extruder takes a second to start extruding depending on how much filament has oozed out since it last extruded. Skirt helps with that.

You don't need a skirt though if you don't want to.

5. AutopsyTurvy

AutopsyTurvy Active Member

I've left the skirt disabled for a while, and instead print a thick brim (about 5mm wide, sometimes a bit bigger). Helps with keeping the print well-adhered, and as Mike said, it gives you a chance to twiddle with the threaded rods so you can get your z height spot on. Shouldn't be necessary if everything's perfectly calibrated ahead of time, but with my terribly unlevel bed, it's easier to do at the start of print for me.

6. Racegrafix

Racegrafix Active Member

I decided to just rotate the part to keep the skirt, which I was trying to avoid. I hate having to use x and y axis at the same time to draw a straight line, when it could have been done with one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.