1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Fix to prevent heat bed cutting out using relay switch

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Jerry RoBo 3D, Nov 23, 2013.

1. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

You could, but as Mike pointed out the connector for the bed heater is a potential failure point (if you removed it or replaced it with high current connectors then you are probably OK).

2. Jerry RoBo 3D

Jerry RoBo 3D Administrator
    Staff Member

It is possible to increase the max temp setting in the firmware. If you have the latest version of the printer there is no connector in-between the heat bed and the ramps board so that is not a limitation in the system.

3. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

I'll be checking that this weekend, it's been really busy here this week. It does give me a good opportunity to teach my son some things about the arduino boards. ( I got him a starter kit for his 10th birthday, last month.)

2 people like this.
  4. Fart_Plume

Fart_Plume Member

Thanks for the information. the firmware edit fixed the problem.

5. Peter Krska

Peter Krska Active Member

I just noticed a problem when my bed heats up, it starts to turn off and I can't get it to heat up again, unless I turn off my printer and restart.

I start the printer - load a file - heats extruder and.bed fine. Starts the print and it's still heating. Somewhere along the timeline it started to cool the bed. Extruder working fine. I tried to manually turn on the bed but it does not climb stays around the 23 or less degrees.

If I turn off the printer, reconnect, restart the print, the bed starts to heat up again.

It's a recent issue. So I doubt it's a firmware issue. I already replaced my 3M heated pad underneath the glass bed.

Do you think it's firmware? Any other suggestions?

6. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

what temp does it stall at? the new firmware clips it to 85 without modifications.

7. Peter Krska

I'm using 55, climbs to that to then goes to around 23 or lower and won't heat again till the restart.

I have a fan in my rod board. It's seams to be noisy but running.

8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Hmmm, that sounds more like you might be hitting an issue with the RAMPS. If you have a spare, swap it in and try it.
    That MOSFET that drives the bed might be going south. Although the "won't heat again till the restart." sounds more like a software issue, but perhaps not.

9. Peter Krska

Right now it's printing with steady bed temp of 55

I also notice that it happens with longer prints, around 12 hrs or more. But you can never tell. I print everyday, the Robo3D printer is always running, and after making a few good prints, I notice the bed issue and I restart the printer getting back to printing. It's annoying not knowing if it will affect the print staying stuck to the bed especially large prints that take a long time to print and have a tendency to move the print off the bed of its not heated properly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424734705.124642.jpg

10. Marquis Johnson

Marquis Johnson Active Member

When that started happening to me the connectors under the printer were burning up, they ended up burning out completely and instead of turning off mid print, the bed just wouldn't heat up at all. at the beggining of the video this is what I found.

Hope that's not what happening to you

11. Julian Saldierna

Julian Saldierna New Member

How well does this work?

12. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

You have the output from the ramps drive the relay switching and then run the bed power through the relay contacts.