1. Got a question or need help troubleshooting? Post to the troubleshooting forum or Search the forums!

Partially Solved FRANKEN-HOT-END while I wait....

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by wthierry, Dec 8, 2015.

1. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

So I had a failed print which pretty much ruined my hot end, rubber cover came off, breaking off the plastic ruined the thermister.... etc, etc... I happened to have a new E3d V6 hot end that I planned on making into a dual extruder for the robo at somepoint... so I took the existing robo hotend, unscrewed the base aluminim plate, put the e3d aluminum block on with the new thermister and nozzle..... Voila, I have a working hot end again, although its a bastardized version of the E3d V6, lol.... but its halfway through a large print and doing well! Would have replaced the whole thing with the E3d, but it is wider than the one Robo ships with. The E3d also uses pfte tubing, and the robo does not, are there any pros and cons to what I have done? Looking for your thoughts.

2. mark tomlinson

mark tomlinson ༼ つ ◕_ ◕ ༽つ
    Staff Member

As long as the heatsink on the cold end is sufficient and the heatbreak works there is not other reason it would be a problem.
    It was not designed for that application, but that doesn't mean failure. Given the relative sizes of the two hotends the heatsink for the hex will probably work well enough on the E3D.

3. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

If you run into performance issues simply finish the job.

4. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

Seems to be going ok still... I just tried to work with what I had on hand, since I was dead in the water....

5. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

The PTFE liner allows the E3D to do flexible materials (NinjaFlex, SemiFlex, FilaFlex, etc.)

6. wthierry

wthierry Active Member

I'm wondering if some of my print problems were related to my print head.... the new franken hot end seems to be giving better prints.... BTW, is there an e3d v6 carriage in case I want to switch entirely to that?

7. WheresWaldo

WheresWaldo Volunteer ( ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)
    Staff Member

The E3Dv6 uses a standard J-Head type of mount exactly the same as the Hexagon, there is no need nor is there a special E3D carriage.

mark tomlinson likes this.
  8. mark tomlinson

Staff Member

Some have said it was loose in the R1+, but I can't confirm or deny that.
    Perhaps they were just not correctly mounted.

I DO agree that the HOTEND mount is standard so I would not expect it to be an issue.